Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be adding a new fly rod to my arsenal and since I only have one 2 hander in my arsenal (Winston Boron IIX 11' 7 Weight) which is a very short 2 hander I use for small rivers here in Michigan. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the Scott LS2 1408, Sage Euro 7141, and the Sage VT2 8139. This rod is basically just for swinging streamers with sink tips on Michigan's larger rivers for Steelhead. If anyone has any other recommendations other than the rods I have listed please let me know about them. Also what two handed rods would you recommend for a floating line and indicator rig on Michigan's larger rivers? I would think I would want this to be a softer action than my rod for sink tips. I am a novice to 2 handers so please let me know any input you may have on the situation. Thank You in advance...

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
All the rods you mention are great sticks although in my opinion they are quite a bit different. I believe the Sage Euro is the fastest and the LS2 the slowest (more tradional in action) of the three. My choice would be the VT 2 8139, and second would be the Scott.
I think any rod you are comfortable with fishing tips will work well with a properly matched floating line with all else being equal. I think that VT 2 would still be a good choice.
I sell all of the above so you might think I'm biased but I sell several others also. There are a many great rods out there. With the right line match they can all be winners.
I would figure out what you can afford and your preferred action if you know what it is and visit some shops for some test drives on the water.
In my opinion that is the very best way to find out "what will work for you".

·
Banned
974 Posts
I had the Winston BIIx 11' 7 wt and it is the only Winston that I have sold. :razz: I do, however, love the 13'3" 7/8 and 13' 8/9.

I happen to like 13 footish rods for the Upper Midwest. What lines will you be casting? Have you cast any of the rods that you are looking at? If you are undecided on September 10th, come to our Steelhead-Spey Day. We will have many rods and lines to try.

Best,
David

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
TheSteelheadBum said:
I am going to be adding a new fly rod to my arsenal and since I only have one 2 hander in my arsenal (Winston Boron IIX 11' 7 Weight) which is a very short 2 hander I use for small rivers here in Michigan. I was wondering if anyone had any input on the Scott LS2 1408, Sage Euro 7141, and the Sage VT2 8139. This rod is basically just for swinging streamers with sink tips on Michigan's larger rivers for Steelhead. If anyone has any other recommendations other than the rods I have listed please let me know about them. Also what two handed rods would you recommend for a floating line and indicator rig on Michigan's larger rivers? I would think I would want this to be a softer action than my rod for sink tips. I am a novice to 2 handers so please let me know any input you may have on the situation. Thank You in advance...
If you want the maximum big rod for big rivers, big heavy lines, big heavy sink tips, and big fly critters, Bob Pauli has the ultimate canyon blaster for sale in the classifieds section of this site, the T&T 1611-3 at a great price.

I know nothing re your home waters, but the Sage 7141 is an incredible tool for casting sink tips with WC', Mid Speys, Grand Spey's and Skagit lines.

Re a softer action rod for a floating line and capable of handling indicator rigs the classic Sage 7136 is a great rod for this. Its main drawback in my old and not that great hands is a big fish over 6#'s can just go to the bottom and not be forced up. The 7141 is a better rod when the fish get over 6#, and its drawback is the opposite. Fish 5# and under are overwhelmed with the 7141.

All of the rods you mention are great rods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts