Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing is very fun and effortless when the correct combinations are achieved. The combination of Mike Kinney and Bob Meiser to produce the 13'6" MKS 8/9 and Loop's Adapted head results in Mike's concept of fishing with the least expenditure of energy. Last week was my first day out with my new MKS 8/9. With a downstream wind of 15 - 20 mph I could double spey, laying the line on the water and shooting it 3' above the water 60 to 70 feet landing the fly under low hanging branches on the opposite side of the river. This with very little effort. The secret of Mike's rod design is let the rod do the work. Even in miserable weather fishing can be fun!!

Rich

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Another

great combination is the little brother, 13' 6" MKS 7/8. This does great with the RIO 550 Skagit and the WC 9/10/11 with tip two removed. The latter is nice and light, so the WC 10/11/12 with tip two removed should work well too.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
The concept of matching the line with rod was introduced long time ago by Loop.
Among the rods I use is Loop Greyline 13' which cast effortlessly with Adapted heads.
This, most likely , can be said about all Loop rods.

Salmo

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
papemfus
I am using the 9/10 Adapted floating/intermediate tip with a Rio intermediate leader. I did not cut it back. Works great right out of the box. The Carron 65' 10/11 also works great for a little longer belly.

Ted,

I also have the 13' MKS 6/7 which really likes Hardy Mach 1 lines. 9/10 floating and 8/9 clear intermediate.

Rich

·
Registered
646 Posts
What Ted said!!!

The combination Ted describes above is truly a wonderful match. In fact, the nicest spey combination I have ever had the pleasure to cast.
Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts