Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I saw somewhere on these pages anyone mentioning a special "grass leader" for training spey casts on the lawn? Is this THE joke on this forum, or actually someone found out this much wanted thing? If so please tell how such a leader can be constructed...
If not, please have a good laught on my behalf. It kind of reminds me of this old boy scout joke: Every newcomer in the scouts is told to go to the shop and buy that remedy who turns the smoke from the campfire in the right direction...

I wish you a peaceful Cristmas, with some fine ff gifts, and a new productive angling year!

Best regards from Norway (- 25 celcius just now).

·
Registered
141 Posts
dThe joke is not on you!

A grass leader is nothing but a lot of blood knots tied together. You cut the one tag end of the knot that sticks out perpinducular to the line to about one inch. This is what catches the grass to load the line. You tie the knots about three inches apart, and make the leader anywhere from 3 feet to 9 feet long.
the trick is to get the right material. I tied one out of 40 # Amnesia and it had too much memory, and was worthless. I've seen another tied for one-handed rods out of 20# Amnesia, and it worked good for one-handed rods.
I have not pursued it much further because grass will cut your line. Grass is a silicate, and sharp. It will definitely cut your skin!!These cuts are hard to see until the line gets dirty.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Nevada is right, the leader is issentially a series of Blood Knots, I tie mine about 6" apart and I leave both tag ends of the knot about 1 1/2" long and the leader about 10'. The tags catch on the grass and allow you to load the doublehander and make all the various casts.

While it is a close approximation of water anchoring it is not the same. However, if you just have to cast and water is not handy then some grass wil do just fine. FYI, there is a speycasting tournament held each year at the Skagit in which they cast on grass with these leaders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts