Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned something completely new here on this faboulous clave this winter about spey casting on grass with a specific grass leader. I got the general knowledge about the concept, but as spring is now quickly arriving here up north, I would really appreciate some more detailed guide on how to build it.

For instance,
- how many of those knots with 1 inces "nylon snaggers" do you recommend in total for the grass leader? 5, 10, even more?
- How far from the connection between flyline and leader do you make the first knot?
- I assume you get better anchor effect the thicker/stiffer leader material you use - what diameter (mm please!!) do you reccomend?
- other advice to notice?

I really appreciate all help!

Best regards from Norway

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I usually make mine out of maxima - use maybe 5'-8' butt section of 25# or 30#. Then go to 1' step down with the knots - 20# and 15#. Either stay at 15# or step down to 12# and splice in 6" to 8" sections to the length you want. If too long it really becomes an aerodynamic mess and does not turn over - probably keep it to 12' or so. If you want it longer, make the butt section longer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What type of knots do you use to make the snaggers, and how long should the snaggers be? I would like to make a grass leader, but I've never seen one. Thanks.
JE

·
Registered
439 Posts
We make the grass leader like this, 10' section, with a blood knot every 3-4'', tag end cut to 1/4". 1-2' of butt section and a 2' tippet. Use a softer mono material 20-30# breaking strength.
Happy Casting,
Leroy..............................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts