Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a spey rod not to load right while casting on grass? I took my toy out today in the rain to try throughing the line a bit.

Is the single spey basically a roll cast?

I'm going to take a couple lessons from Dana, maybe even this week, but I am also hoping to get out on the water earlier during the week.

Doug

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
You have to use a grass leader (12' or so of 20# Amnesia or Maxima blood knotted are 6" intervals with the tag ends left 2 inches or so long) to get the rod to load on the grass. The tag ends on the grass leader grab and catch in the grass to provide to load.

No, the single spey is not just a roll cast. It is a live-line roll cast wherein the line never completly stops. The forward spey is made just as the line touches the water while it is still moving back behing the caster. The single spey is probably the hardest cast to get the line placement and timing correct on. Starting with the double spey will prove to be easier.

Taking some lessons with Dana is a great way to learn spey casting and will help you prevent developing bad habits. The learning curve is much quicker when you have a good spey instructor like Dans.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I learned the hard way about the single hand fly rod, after many hooks in the ear, arse, back of the head and hand.... I don't want to repeat that in my pre golden years.

Doug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Howdy BC

Until you have your casting stroke down keep your toy safe and cut the hook at the bend. It will cause less damage to you....
You will find that you can slow down your casting on the water. Much more than on the grass. If no water is open for you to cast on Try a golf Course right after they water.. It will be enough drag to feel the load. Remember That "FOUR" mean DUCK.
ol Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts