Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know the why and how of the Grant Switch cast. Still not very good at it but can see the value of it's application. Spent Sat. with Gordon MacLeod. A very enjoyable and informative day. Cast one of Gordon's greenheart rods with a silk line. Puts everything in perspective. Again, know how to cast a greenheart, just not well.

Thanks to Jack Cook, Gordon and the other participants for a Great DAy on the river.

Rich

·
Registered
9 Posts
Spey casting on the River Spey

I also attended the class/demo that Jack Cook organized with Gordon MacLeod, and I learned a lot. Gordon's "fishing cast", in the stye of Alexander Grant, is a single spey. Here is my attempt to describe it:

1. The rod is raised slowly to high position to unstick the line and sinktip if any.

2. A flick of the wrist sends a wave down the line to help free the rest of the line from the water and start creation of a D loop.

3. The rod is then swept around to the firing position with the tip kept high. The rod is NOT allowed to drift back.

4. As soon as the leader touches the water, with minimal line stick and disturbance, the forward cast is made.

5. The rod is stopped in a high position (10 o'clock).

What I found most remarkable about his casting style is that before the forward cast is made Gordon rotates his top-hand wrist so that the BACK of his hand is pointing in the direction of the cast. This brings the rod closer to the body and provides much more strength to the wrist. After all, would you punch someone with the front of your fist?

A few other observations:

1. Salmon fishers on the Spey consider it bad form to create a significant disturbance/splashing when casting. They will refuse to fish down a pool behind anyone fishing in the way. Note that the Spey is not a small river. It's about the size of the Skykomish (with about 50,000 wild salmon each year).

2. It's not common to fish "cack-handed", i.e. right hand up for a cast on the left side of the body.

3. I may be wrong about this, but I got the impression that Gordon would rather fish a single spey on his downstream side if there is a strong wind from upstream, rather than a double spey, which causes much more disturbance of the water.

Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts