Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I just picked up a #7/8 XLT several weeks ago and loaded it onto a Winston DBF 7/8 15-foot. After throwing it for about half an hour, it feel like it is falling flat (running out of steam) when the entire head is on the water? I was wondering if a Grandspey in this weight would fly better?

A Grandspey 8/10 when loaded onto my DBF 8/9 is a cannon!

Any Winston DBFs available in a 9/10 out there?

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Wrong line?

Since the XLT is the line that has been winning Musto (distance competition) for the past few years, I think it is safe to say that when matched well to the rod, it flies great. I think you may have a mismatch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I was also thinking. Like I said, my #8 DBF throws a #9/10 Grandspey very nicvely. I do have an #8 XLT that I will try on my #7 DBF this week. The quest continues............ Thanks, ED

·
Registered
344 Posts
the 7/8 xlt is a heavy line. I love it on my Meiser 8/9/10. The 7/8 loads my rod about the same as the new 9 wt xlt. By the new spey line standard the 7/8 would be an 9 or 10 wt.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,194 Posts
The old 7/8 xlt is the line for the dbf #7 at least it was for me, you might try the newer version of the xlt in a #8 has more pulling power than the old one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fishman,

I've spoken to several people regarding the Winston spey rods and lines that will work. Since the DBF is a powerhouse, overlining this rod sounds like the key. 'Traditional' action spey rods are too slow for my style of casting. I like a rod that is quick and crisp. Putting more of a load on this rod, lets the rod do most of the work.

My next line will be a Grandspey 8/9 for my #7 DBF. Will this 'new' version of line be approximately equal to the 'old' Grandspey? Hopefully so. I'll put a post up here when I get a reading. Thanks, Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts