Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little review for you

I made the cut on my Rio Grandspey 8/9 recently at about 16 feet back to fish tips (Simon Recommends 15 feet for the cut on all Grandspeys, don't ask me why I cut it at 16 feet, because I don't know LOL). I then installed kevlar loops which I took the liberty of constructing myself out of kevlar tubing instead of buying the premade ones by Cascade fly tying materials in packages of 4. The advantages of constructing the Kevlar loops yourself is that you can shorten the distance between the end of the fly line, and the actual loop. I can describe in more detail if you like, but anyways the just of it is it helps minimize hinging.

Anyways, after fishing 15 feet of Leadcore today as my tip on my Grandspey 8/9, I was very impressed with it's turn over. It was almost automatic! I just had to put my rod through it's motions and the turnover was on autopilot pretty much. I didn't make any extraordinary casting distances (I'd say my max today was about 70-75 feet, mostly 40-60 feet) but you don't need that much to hang down/slow swing for Winter runs anyways, unless there is the odd chance of a lie farther out then that or you really like hang down. Having a rod like my Sage 9140-3 Euro Graphite 3 helped a bit. I never roll cast to get the tip up either.

I would imagine the great ability of this line to work tips is b/c of the grains in the front section of the line which are there to help load the rod, really telling the tip where to put it.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Scott K,

I too cut my GrandSpey 16 ft from the tip. I did so to be sure that I was past the tip taper and into the heavier line taper that is after the tip taper. I have not been unhappy with my choice of how much to cut from the tip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts