Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,
New to post here, been lurking in the shadows for quite some time.
I have a question re: Grandspey 8/9 or 9/10 for a 14' 9wt sage traditional (I think it's the traditional, its the brown blank, graphite III I believe.)
My question is...
Is the 9/10 too heavy for this rod, I will be throwing type 6 and 8 heads w/ a sink tip compensator, and probably big boy 300 and 400. The big boys are 24'. I live in West Michigan and we swing really big bulky leeches and sculpin patterns on the Muskegon through some pretty deep pools and runs-in excess of 10'. I have a windcutter 9/10/11 and an accelerator 8/9.
I am not a great caster by any stretch of the imagination, but 80/90 ft. is probably the maximum fishable distance I'd need. My only beef with the windcutter (I learned on the accelerator) is that I have to strip in to re-cast. That simply isn't an option in 18 degree air. Where does the rest of your rod go in a 15' drift boat when you're picking ice??? :)

Lastly, I will probably cut this line back, where would you recommend I start w/ the scissors?
Thanks for the help,
And especially thanks for a fantastic board, I look forward to growing up on here.
Aaron

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
When in doubt with the Grandspey, go light! :hehe:

...anyways...I would pray that Rio comes out with a 6/7 Grandspey for the 9140-4 Brownie... :D

...and since that isnt going to happen anytime soon, wait till the 7/8 hits the market!

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you're planning to cut a floater to use with tips, Rio recomends cutting the Grandspey at 15 feet.

As for the line size, I'd guess the 8/9 for the 4-piece Sage 9wt. But don't take my guess, Rio has a line chart to macth the grandspey to most factory rods. I think you can find it on their website. If it's not there, I'm sure someone here knows where to find it and will set you in the right direction to finding it.

pescaphile

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The line chart from Simon Gawesworth is published right here - just scroll down the left side links and you'll see it.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The old Sage 9140-4 does not like the GrandSpey line at all. I tried the 8/9 GrandSpey on mine and was afraid the rod was going to break it was so badly overloaded. I would not even dare use the 9/10 GrandSpey on it because it would be so overloaded.

Why not use the 8/9 MidSpey? Or a 7/8/9 Windcutter with Upgrade. this would give you a line that has 70 feet of belly that will not overload the rod.

You could always get yourself of more powerful 9 weight rod 14 or 15 feet to cast the 8/9 GrandSpey with. Or move up to a more powerful 10 weight for use with the 9/10 GrandSpey.

NorthFork16,

The 7/8 GrandSpey is a much lighter line than the other GrandSpeys and is really a line that is more for dry line work than sink tips. It should be available for sale now.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I would agree with flytyer

I have not tried the GrandSpey with the 9140-4 Sage but I know the rod well and there is no question in my mind that the GrandSpey 8/9 would be too much line for this rod if you are looking to work with the whole belly out. For shorter casts though it might be okay.

Not to discourage you from a new purchase, but is the Accelerator not working well for you?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"FT"and Dana are correct.

I have the rod (actually I've all three 'versions' of Sage's 9wt speys) and I made ONE cast with the 8/9 on the old brownie and immediately stripped the reel off the rod. A total 'over-match.'
fae

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't tried the accelerator 8/9 w/tips on the rod yet. I think I'll give that a shot this week. It sounds to me like I just bought a line for a rod I don't have yet!

Anyone have a good suggestion for a rod that'll toss the grandspey 8/9 or 9/10 w/ease, or is this line just too much???
Thanks fellas,

Aaron

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
There are many rods that will work with the 8/9 GrandSpey. What you want is a rod that has some backbone and power to it. Whether it is a medium or fast action rod is simply your choice. Many manufacturers make rods that work very well with this rod. Faster rods like the Loop Green, G.Loomis GLX, T&T 9 wieghts, and the CND's come to mind. In the medium rods, you have Scott 9/10 weights, the newer Sage 9/10 weights (except the 9140-4), the Loop Blue, and Yellow, the new Loop gray, Powell, and new Hardy rods

1 - 9 of 9 Posts