Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to put a 10/11 Grandspey onto a Hardy Ultralight Disc 4 1/8" Reel. If so, does it fit and with how much backing? Catalogue states DT 10F with 160 yards (30lb). I guess it would be tight, but would like advice.

UK retailer has a special offer just now on these reels. Buy one and get free spool.

cheers

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Reel capacity

To fit a WindCutter or MidSpey with 200 yards of 30 pound backing requires a reel rated for a WF12Float + 300 yards of Micron [standard size] 30# backing.
The GrandSpey requires far more then the WC or MidSpey.

The Hardy you are looking at is far too small.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
storlaks,

What rod are you fishing the 10/11 Grandspey on?

·
PiscatorNonSolumPiscatur
794 Posts
storlaks

I tried it. It just fits with NO backing.
I went to the Redington AS 13/14. Plenty of room here for backing.
I use the Hardy for my 8/9 Grandspey.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grandspey 10/11 best fit reel

Kush, I'm using the 10/11 on my T&T 16ft. I tested it and it works very well indeed. Actually landed 3 Atlantic Salmon on the River Dee using this set-up.

I am now in the process of purchasing my own line and need a reel to match. For the budget I have it seems that the Redington 13/14 or even the Lamson Velocity, (may stretch to the Litespeed) are the best buys, unless anyone can offer another good alternative.

cheers....

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Storlaks,

As anyone who has been reading these forums for the last year knows, I love my 1611 T&T and its fast but progressive action. Glad to hear you got one. I bought mine 7 years ago and have never regretted purchasing it; I use no other rod for chum salmon, winter steelhead, and chinook salmon. I have been fishing mine exlusively since November with the 10/11 GrandSpey and have found this to be a wonderful combination of line and rod. And I fish folowing, type 3, type 6, type 8, and 11 feet of 700 gr. SA Deep Water Express tips with this rod and line.

I have mine mounted on a Redington 13/14 because it is a line that just eats of up capacity in a hurry. You need a reel that is rated for a 14 wt. line and 350+ yards of 30lb backing to hold the 10/11 GrandSpey and a decent amount of backing.

An additional benefit to using the very large reels needed to hold the 10/11 GrandSpey is the added weight of the big reels ballance the rod very nicely and actually causes the rod to feel lighter in the hand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lamson Reels

So, if I decided to go with the Lamson Velocity or Litespeed, would these reels be big enough for the GrandSpey 10/11?

There capacity is quoted at WF10 with 250yards of 30lb backing so I guess they should be sufficient, but would like confirmation first.

I'm not a huge fan of Redington reels.

thanks

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Storlaks,

I would not put a 10/11 GrandSpey on either of these reels. The capacity is not large enough to hold the 100 feet of large belly the 10/11 GrandSpey has and still have sufficient room for backing. Even using gel-spun backing would not provide very much backing capacity. The 10/11 GrandSpey will take up virtually all of the room these reels have. You really need to go with the largest capacity reels you can find.

Like I said in a previous post, a reel that is rated for a 14 wt. line and 400+ yards of backing is what is needed in ourder to have a decent amount of backing with the 10/11 GrandSpey. There are several reels on the market that are so rated, you do not need to use a Redington.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts