Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the Ronde was super slow. There were a few fish caught (6 anglers over 4 days) - all on one day after a nighttime rain. One guy was there for 8 days with only 1 fish on/lost. I caught a little trout and that was it. The float was a blast, anyway, and the water was super fishy. And, I got to play with my casting a lot!

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is a sad year for the Steelhead on the Columbia River system. All time record low counts for Steelhead great fishing but not for catching. It would be nice to get rid of the Dams on the lower Snake River. I don't think this will ever happen unless we get a very large amount of heavy rain, like the they did back east. I would expect the numbers to go down will continue in the future for all Steelhead & Salmon on these Rivers.
Anyway the trip sounds like a good time by all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Well, the Ronde was super slow. There were a few fish caught (6 anglers over 4 days) - all on one day after a nighttime rain. One guy was there for 8 days with only 1 fish on/lost. I caught a little trout and that was it. The float was a blast, anyway, and the water was super fishy. And, I got to play with my casting a lot!
Sounds about the same to my trip this year, floated three days, camped another two-ish at the mouth. Real slow fishing. Beautiful country though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sounds awesome. I don’t travel 6000 miles for catching fish but for enjoying my time in such beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was an awesome trip. We were guided, and then had swampers set up/break down camp and cook for us. We even had a little porta-potty type thing! It was as glam as river camping can get - dutch-oven baked chocolate cake and all! I had a blast all around. It would have been an extra bonus to touch some fish. I was happy with my casting and fishing (I grade myself with an A for 85% of the time, a B for 10%, and a C for 5% of the time) and even got better at both with all of the practice. I got to work on my snake roll, which still needs some work, and played with shooting more line, changing trajectory angles, tightening up loops when casting into the wind and you need the extra oomph. I got to fish some dry flies on light lines with floating leaders, some classic hair wings in the film and with some tips, some unweighted modern flies on tips, and even a lightly weighted conehead leech. I fished nice long runs with full bomb casts and long swings, fished some nice pocket water around rocks, got to fish some nice tight deep trenches, had to fish the far side soft water over top of the current, and then everything in between, so it really was fun to work on presenting the fly in different water and we had a great bunch of guys and guides.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Anybody have more current info?

We went southwest coastal earlier--avoided the flood. We're strongly considering the beginning of December. Cold will be ok if the flows are moderate and there are a few fish in the crick.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,402 Posts
Can’t speak for the Rhonde per see as o lay some dismal reports from the guys camped at the mouth but spent five days on the Snake and from a catching point of view, one worst trips in the last 25 years.

Drove up the the Rhonde one day and it was running 38 degrees at the mouth.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
First year since 1982 that I have not caught a steelhead. mostly because there were so few fish I hardly tried.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was at the mouth area on Thursday and Friday.
Temps were 38 degrees on the Ronde on Thursday. I didn't bring a thermometer and didn't talk to anyone who knew what the temp was on Friday but it certainly didn't feel any warmer.
Got a couple out of Turkey and a couple on the Snake which was around 46-47 degrees. Very few people around and the fish I pulled out of the Ronde were very lethargic. Conditions on the Snake were good and daytime air temps were hitting the low 50s.

Put another day and a half in on the Clearwater and blanked. That's the end of my season for this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts