Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions on which Grand Spey, 9/10 or 10/11,people are using on this rod. I currently have the old 14' 10wt that I have been using an Accelerator 10/11 that I have used for a number of years now but would consider trying the new Grand Spey.

I have looked at the recommendations that Rio puts out but would like to hear opinions on if the 9/10 or the 10/11 is best for the rod from those that have used the lines.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
.02 cents only here.

But tested all the GrandSpey lines on several rods, including the one you have. The GS has a lot of grains out in the air when you're 'long lineing.' I'd recommend the 9/10 for this rod.
fae

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I agree,

The the 10/11 is waaaay too much line for the 10151. The 9/10 would be far better suited to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred/Kush,

Thanks for the replies... Appreciate it since I don't have the ability to cast each line and certainly don't want to over line this particular rod given its history of breaking.

Wonder how the 9/10 would handle on the 12'4" 8wt that I use as well.

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ragatz,

Is your 10151 an original (Brown blank) or a "new" one? If it is an original do not even attempt to put a Grand Spey on it, in fact don't even show the line to the rod!!!!:eyecrazy: :whoa:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Kush,

I just happened onto a green 10151 and was using a 9/10 midspey and rocketing casts with it. May have just been that particular day but I really like the rod. Fro what I gathered searching the archivesthe action on the newer ones aint quite as sweet as the old browns but so far I like the rod.

Do you know if the breakage problem been solved with the newer models? Cause I am thinking about slapping a grand spey on it....

-sean

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kush,

Yeah it is the older brown model... I should have specified that earlier in the post.

Guess I'll stick with my old Accelerator....,:eek:

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ragatz,

I blew up 4 original 10151's - all using a 10/11 Accellerator! It seems to me that those who have had longevity with this rod have done it with shorter heads. The unfortunate thing about that rod is that it was the sweetest casting rod ever - I really miss it! The green version, as well as the latest version do not self-destruct, but they are not the same rod.

Sean, I have used my big SpeyDriver on my Green 10151 - no problem - something that wouldn't have lasted 5 casts with the original!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kush,

So it I should really stay with either a Windcutter 10/11 or the MidSpey 10/11.

The Windcutter I have... and will just probably stick with that...

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ragatz,

That is a tough call, some of those rods seemed to survive the odds. My first one went 3 years before breaking, then the next 3 lasted an average of 6 days each. Yet a fishing partner of mine still has his and he uses a longer belly line. The one concession he does make is to never go without a back-up rod.

The real shame is that the original 10151 was a dream to cast with a line like the Accellerator - totally sweet! Maybe your rod is one of the blessed ones...

It is a real shame that Sage (as much as they claim to have) could not duplicate the original action when they redesigned the blank. With the original boron butt piece the rod seemed to cast itself - until it morphed into a "custom" 5-piece anyway. :confused:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rag's another line you may want to consider is the

9/10 SA XLT. Again a long belly line, but with out the 'bulk' of the LXT. This is the line I use (and I have the old brown blank) and the two 'love each other.'
fae

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I can't agree with you here Fred, put that line on the old 10151 and it is just a matter of time until it is a 5 piece. It would be just like putting my SpeyDriver on it. The lighter XLT would probably be okay.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Tyler, could be true. As I've

used both lines on the rod and both worked for me. But then I don't tend to over power a given rod. Most of the Rogue isn't that wide that a 80-90 foot cast wouldn't cover 90% of the water.

But if Rag'z wants to try either line I'd be happy to loan them to him for a couple of weeks so he can 'test drive.''
:D
Rag'z, let me know. Lines are a very personal experience for each caster. My cup of tea could be your cup of lemon juice.
fae

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have to agree with Kush on this, the brown blank will equal a 5 piece rod quickly. I throw the 8/9xlt on the 10151 (new model) and it loads the rod fine.

andre

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I have a very good friend who bought one of the old brown 10151's when they first became available. He bought a 10/11 Accelarator for it and wanted my to cast it. Long story short, I did and after one cast with the full belly out, I quit casting it because I was afraid I would have it turn into a 5-piece rod. It did not like the 10/11 Accelerator at all. John went on and broke the rod a month later while using the Accelerator. He then broke 4 more of the replacements until they changed the rod to the newer version. John doesn't use this rod anymore and has a Derek Brown 10/11 instead that he uses.

Tyler is right, don't take a GrandSpey anywhere near the rod.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Again.. I appreciate the comments. It certainly is a tough call as I bought the rod in 97/98 to go on a trip that never paned out and know about the track record regarding the breakeage.

Finding the right line combination, I would have to agree w/Fred; It's truely is personal preference. Matching a line to the 2 hander is and has been quiet an experience for me. Have plenty of dbl tapers 8 - 11wts. Which is another possibilty of customization. Certainly a realm that I have no familiarity with but perhaps 1 day will take the time to experiment. Certainly much easier w/Single hander.

Cheers,

Hansen.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Ragatz re Grand Spey & 10151-4

With my terrible casting abilities, I'm probably the worse one to talk about my experiences with my brown 10151. With that disclaimer, here are my results with this rod and the GS's.

Early this spring, I spent the better part of a day trying Simon's test GS's with this rod. All three were floating lines. I used a Rio 10' Bone Fish Leader with 13.2 lb test at the tip. I tied a perfection loop in this leader and added 3 foot of 10 # tippet. I casted size 2, 4 and 6 sinking steelhead flies.

The river was running very high and fast and I could not wade out very far and had a high bank behind me which prevented a good long D loop.

GS 8/9 actually worked best with the rod. I hit the opposite bank about 80 90 feet, fairly consistently. The rod loaded and casted the line fairly easy.

GS9/10 for some reason with me was terrible. I could never get the rod to load for either the Double or Single Spey. It did worse of the three lines. It/I had a real problem getting the line off of the water.

GS10/11 if everything was timed right by me, I got some good casts and hit the opposite bank a few time, but this was less than with the GW8/9. Also, I was not as consistent with this line as with the GS 8/9. It required more effort to cast. Also, I had to strip in about 15' of line to get to the proper spot and then shoot that line on each cast to get to where I cast with the 8/9 with no stripping or shooting.

With this rod I have found with my 9/10 Accelerator and sinking tips, that I can cast it better removing tip #2 as well as tip #1 and attaching the sinking tips to the shooting body section.

These experiences make me wonder if the brown 10151 might be closer to a 9 weight than a 10 weight, at least in my inept hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts