Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been eyeballing a DH2 in 7130 and was curious what the grain window is on this rod or if anyone knows what the sweet spot is for a skagit head? I was also looking at the 12'6" 7wt Vision Cult but seems to be a bit on the lighter side of things for Ontario waters...

·
Registered
371 Posts
See link below:

http://www.rajeffsports.com/spey_chart.pdf

480-590gr is the window for that rod. Depending on you, a 510 or 540gr is the sweet spot. I liked the original DH7130 better, it was a little slower action. I used 510gr on it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Skagit Switch

I've cast it with the 540 skagit switch (my favorite skagit style) and felt a little heavy. I think the 510 skagit switch would be perfect on this rod.

I fish a 570 intermediate skagit on the 8 weight DHII and the 480 skagit switch on the 6.5. The rods are also great with Scandi heads if you like the action.

These rods seem pretty forgiving of grain weights and styles of casting and are very enjoyable.

DH

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much appreciated guys! I never saw that grain chart before, very helpful! Thanks again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use it with a RIO Skagit iFlight, 525. Works well. I toss a 510 Compact Skagit also. I tried 540 gr floater but, thought it too much.

·
Registered
307 Posts
4weight

I have used this chart to help line all my 2 handers and have found it to be very accurate and comprehensive.

BTW, why would you consider the Vision 126/7 to light?
Where and for what are you fishing?

Emel

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Going to be fishing Ontario for steelhead with the odd trip out west, got family on Vancouver island. The grain window on the cult maxed out at I think 470ish grains.... Do you have any insight on the cult that you provide? I'm currently shopping for my first rod and may just not know any better and the cult could be a great rod for all I know...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts