Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I did a search but nothing came up.

Does anyone know grain window/capabilities of the CND Solstice 13'4" 6/7?

I wanted to experiment with a skagit line and was wondering if the rod could handle the RIO 7/8 (since there's no 6/7) belly that weighs 450 grains excluding tip head. The other off the shelf option is the Airflo 6/7 that has a belly weight of 440 grains excluding tip head.

OR would I have to go with a custom line (or chop a windcutter 9/10/11 body; closer to 350 grains for the belly excluding tip head).

I've emailed Tyler about his custom skagit lines that he's used for the Solstice 6/7...anyone else have any experience?

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Preston

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
ive been using the rio skagit 7/8 on my 13'4" for months and think it is a great combination. ive thrown everything from 15' standard issue tips to various lengths of t-14. this setup has become my favorite in my aresenal.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Preston,

Just sent you a PM on this but yes, I'm with Ryan, the 450 gr. should match that rod quite nicely.

sinktip

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great to know...

Thanks Ryan and Duggan.

Question. What grainage tips are you running.? I'm going to purchase some standard RIO DC 15' heads but don't know which line classification to buy. I think the line class 9 tips are 109 grains. Should I go lower or higher?

Ryan, any experimenting on the upper limits of length of T-14? Tyler mentions 9 feet so that would mean he was casting an additional 126 grains plus an intruder...

Sincerely,
Preston

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I have cast three dif. tips on my 450 gr. These were used on a 1307-3 T&T and a SAGE 7136 (Greenie) where noted. The tips were a 15' Type 8 Rio for 9 weight, a custom tip by the Sultan of Splice which is 6' of t-14 spliced to 4' of level floater and finally, a 12' section of 550 gr. DWE. Only the first two were cast on the 7136. I have yet to hit the max of what this line will cast easily.

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
NrthFrk16 has it right!

And you can hang most any tip up to about 145 grains on it, and it will love it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Preston,

I got your PM - but I can't add any more than these guys have. The 13'4" Solstice has that CND reserve of power and will cast a surprising amount of kerplunk. While I did fish 9' of T-14 and a large Intruder some of the time - most of my late winter -early spring fishing was with 6-7' of T-14 and a 4' or 3' floating piece of #11 to maintain the line length - and yes my standard large size Intruders or string leeches.

It was a pleasure to cast and was a blast with fish.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't know how much differences/similarities there are between the CND Soltice 13'4"/7wt and the CND Expert 1307, but assuming some comparability, for Skagit casting, these three systems cast well with the Expert 1307: (1) Rio Skagit 8/9 + AirFlo polyleader + 4' leader = 41'/588gr. (2) WC 111213 head + Rio 8/9 5' Cheater + AF polyleader = 45'/579gr. And for casts in tight, with system shorter than theory recommends, (3) Rio Skagit 8/9 with 5' T14 + 4' leader = 36'/620gr.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Has anyone used Solstice 14'3" 7/8 with Rio Skagit Lines. I was wondering which one would be better 8/9 or 9/10?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts