Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rio 550 which I was intending to try with a 5' cheater + tip, but my dog turned it into a pile of cut-up spaghetti last night. I was wondering, since I'm obviously buying new line, what total grain weight people were using on this rod. It's the Graphite III 7oz model.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
If you thought the 550 with a 5' cheater was the right line why not just replace it?

As we all different, the right grain weight for that rod will vary with your stature, ability, and personal idea as to what the perfect rod/line match should be. The 550 with a 5' cheater is as good a place to start as any. That is what Simon recommends and he is usually pretty close on these things.

If you are not looking for a skagit line, I believe you will find happiness with a 7/8 or 8/9 Delta or the same thing in a WC. The same numbers also work well in a Delta Long or MidSpey.

If you have a local shop that speaks "spey" they should have a couple demo lines so you can "dial in" for the best rod/line matchup "for you". Several of the sponsors on this site offer that service.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think a 7/8/9 windcutter is perfect for that rod, go to the rio website and get the grains I think it's right around 600, which is in-line with the Skagit you were using. Personally I think the rod needs a little "speeding up" by underlining it a bit. It will toss a heavier line but I think the action suffers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 9140-4 III 7 oz. rod just like yours and use 411 grains 29.5' long with 15' 110 grain tips. 8/9 Delta and 450 skagit both seemed to overload it.
Craig

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I only ever cast the 550 (without a cheater) on one brief occassion, nearly a year ago, so I can't speak with any assuredness as to the effectiveness of the match. I'm also not the most experienced spey caster. I'm making progress as of late, but defer to the experts regarding line/rod matches. As far as style goes, my interest is in skagit casting.

600 grains? I'm hoping it will handle more...

520 grains? Yikes! I'm using 480gr on my Loomis Metolius per Ed Ward's instruction.

Anybody match an Airflo Skagit line to this rod yet?

Thanks for your replys!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
MJC thanks for the clarification a-la windcutter. By the way do you know is that with the floater? I seem to remember the floating tip for a 7/8/9 is about 150 gr. so with that assumption my usual set-up with a 200 gr. type 4 puts me at about 575, pretty close to the 600 gr. I guess. Of course the best advice to anyone on this subject is to just use a line scale and forget the guesswork. I'm at work can't get mine out right now.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I just weighed a couple of WC 7/8/9 floating tips. They weighed 126 grains including the pipe cleaners which are usually good for 3 or 4. grains

·
Registered
117 Posts
Actual weight of 9140-4

I also have an old 9140-4 brownie, and recently got a new trick scale and decided to weigh it. It came out to 8.6 oz. It is labeled 7 oz. Does anyone know the reason for this?, i.e. an error in production? Just Curious.

Matt

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think 7oz is the blank weight, but I would have expected the total weight for the rod to be over 8.6oz.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Matt, How do you know your scale is calibrated with Sage's scale. Also an old rod could gain a little weight from various things.

Back to the line, I think Jack's line choice and numbers are right on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Skagit head was by airflo, 32' long, with tips from a 9/10 delta 15' long. It worked with my casting stroke, but still felt like the rod bent all the way into the cork. If I missed the timing by very much the cast did not work. I am a not any better than a novice, so listen to the experts. Craig

·
Registered
159 Posts
Trevor,
I'm using the newer version of that rod and I like the 550gr head with 15ft 10wt tips. With the 15ft tips I don't like the cheater. Also we need to remember that the RIO recommendation is for the new 9140 not your older model. Probably dropping down to the 450 or 500 would be sweet as the older rod is a little slower. The use of the cheater depends upon the length of tip you plan on fishing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I fish a 8/9/10 wincutter and it casts as far as you want with a type 8 and heavy bug. Tried one size down and one size up and it didn't work for me. As others have said you should try a couple lines out( escpecially at $150 a crack).

·
Registered
293 Posts
MJC,

So that puts me at 600 gr with the setup I usually fish (789 WC + 200 gr. type 4 15' head), right in line with what Jack was saying. I'm thinking 550-650 is the "sweet" range for that rod. That 600 gr. figure stuck in my mind since I weighed my favorite set-up a couple months ago.

The advice saying to try it for yourself is good but use 600 gr. as a starting point and go from there.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Puzzled

Personally, I do not think the WC7/8/9 is a good launcher for heavy tips. If that 200 grain tip is 24 feet, it might work. You remove tip 1 and tip 2. The "body" of the 7/8/9 is 23 feet long and weighs 240 grains, according to RIO. The body plus the 200 grain tip would be 440 grains and a length of 47 feet for a big boy. If it is a 15 foot tip it would be 13.3 grains per foot and would require a heavy belly to turn over well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
650-670 grains

I fished the old brown 9140-4 for a long time. I only got rid of it when I got a new Burkheimer and I sold it to one of my best friends, the old brown is too good of a rod to go to just any body. Anyway, the Rio 9/10/11 WC and the Airflo 9/10 both fish great on the that rod, as does the rio Skagit 650 minus 4.5 feet with a 9 ft tip of T14, which equals 664 grains. It is a short head but it really fishes.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I haven't decided for sure, but I'm thinking the 500gr skagit would be the best starting point for me. I don't know how well it will handle t-14, but it gives me the grain weight overhead to use cheaters and will handle t-10 just fine. I'm also purchasing a 6126-3 and was thinking 9' of t-10 would put me at 590 grains per Ed Wards recommendation. If I end up wanting a heavier head to carry t-14 & larger flies, it'll have to wait till another pay period...

Thanks to everyone for their input & advice.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Tagging on

At the risk of beating the 9140 line question to death...Though I've owned a "brownie" for some time, I haven't used it much. I've seen folks recommend a WC 7/8/9 and an 8/9/10 for the brownie. Would you recommend one over the other to a relative newbie?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts