Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wvfishin7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been catching pa steelhead with a 10’ 7 and 9’6 8 weights and like them. Recently I got on a buying spree thinking I needed some two handlers. I’ve had a 14 foot Cabelas tlr 9 weight I impulse bought when it was on sale awhile back and never really got a line to cast it. Got on The inter webs and bought like new pro4x 11’6 9 weight and a hardy jet 10’6 6/7. Sierra trading post has sa freightliner skagit kits with tips on sale for about 55 if you have a coupon which is easy to get, so I got a 450, a 520 and a 600 grain one which was weight grain recommended on the rio website. I found some airflo 30 shooting line cheap and bought two of them also. I plan on using 65 pound power pro slick 8 as backing. Haven’t done much other research, but should I have gotten heavier shooting line? 50# or so? I’m hoping to get to fish New York and possibly Michigan in the future, and I’m definitely going to Alaska In about two years to do a diy float trip. I’m interested in chatting about all things fishing, especially pa and ny steelheading, and Alaska fishing. I have a 14’ nrs raft and fishing frame and live in West Virginia. I also really enjoy flats fishing. Like to get together and fish and learn to two hand cast!

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,172 Posts
Sounds like you been bitten. Don't just stand there bleeding, get out fishing.

Dan

·
Wvfishin7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey dan thanks for your response. I’m ready to get out there, unfortunately I’m down in Georgia for work. Went and stayed at uncle johns around thanksgiving and my girlfriend caught her first steelie and on my flyrod! I’m ready to rig some reels up when I get home. Do you throw switch or full Spey? I want to learn how to cast and swing flies, I’ve only been successful indicator nymphing with boogers and crystal meth trailers or eggs. Do you throw traditional Spey flies? Soft hackles? Also, what’s your setup and running line?

·
The Skeena in the fall
456 Posts
Hey dan thanks for your response. I’m ready to get out there, unfortunately I’m down in Georgia for work. Went and stayed at uncle johns around thanksgiving and my girlfriend caught her first steelie and on my flyrod! I’m ready to rig some reels up when I get home. Do you throw switch or full Spey? I want to learn how to cast and swing flies, I’ve only been successful indicator nymphing with boogers and crystal meth trailers or eggs. Do you throw traditional Spey flies? Soft hackles? Also, what’s your setup and running line?
Chris
Am curious about the steelhead you catch in PA.
I did not know they had been planted in PA rivers.
Is this recent?
Jim

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,172 Posts
Long rods and longer lines. Stick mostly to traditional style and unweighted flies.

Chris
Am curious about the steelhead you catch in PA.
I did not know they had been planted in PA rivers.
Is this recent?
Jim
Great Lake tribs. These places might just be where steelhead make the last stand the way things are looking out west. I think New york to Michigan stock more fish than the entire west coast.

Dan

·
Wvfishin7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They stock a bunch! But I’ve heard the numbers used to be better, hopefully their not in decline! It’s a 4 hour drive for me and it’s most defiantly worth the trip! Ive heard good things about wild steelhead runs. The trout I’ve caught we’re dumb, but I’d rather catch fish than not!

·
Wvfishin7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also wanted to mention but forgot - They’re just in the Erie tributaries i believe. Didn’t know if that is what was asked!

·
Wvfishin7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got some rods and lines to try out

I’m from north central West Virginia. About 4 hours away. I try to fish all over though! Ready to get the 10’6 6/7 jet wet.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,172 Posts
I also wanted to mention but forgot - They’re just in the Erie tributaries i believe. Didn’t know if that is what was asked!
they're in many of the tribs of all the Great Lake. Here they need to run through warm water to get to spawning beds. The temps do drop enough in the fall though.

Dan

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Hey Chris,
I think your good on the 30lb shooting line for what your hucking. You may want to up it in the future when throwing heavier heads on heavier rods.
I've had it explained to me by a rio rep that heavier heads need thicker shooting line because the friction helps turn the line over.
I'm not familiar with the SA kits you bought so I'll just say that for me when using switch rods 11' or so the short opst comandos and airflo scouts heads work well with 10' and 12' tips. As soon as I get past 11'6" up to 12'ish I like 20' heads like rio Skagit max shorts. And so on.
Rio does a good job of making lines for varying length rods and their line selector gadget is fun to play with.
If you've got the fever be prepared to get silly buying heads and tips and all that jazz aaaand then buy more as your "style" and stroke evolve.
That's been my experience so far at least.
Enjoy the ride its the only one we get right!
One last nugget, try to get heads and lines here. Every one of us morons is sitting on a pile of them in every length weight and color you could want to try and it'll save you enough to take a trip🤗

·
Wvfishin7
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep sure is! Seems the Ohio licenses are cheaper and they have spring runs so I’m really looking forward to hitting them up too!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Forget about PA unless you really know elk creek. There is only a spot or two to swing at. That also is only in perfect conditions. Before you go over board make sure it’s something you want to to do. Swinging flies is not a numbers game. Even in the Great Lakes fish do not come easy without a lot of time on the water. Prepare to spend time learning casting and new fly patterns. Spend as much time hiking and finding swing spots. Good luck and enjoy the journey. I always enjoy looking back on my days of learning new water and fisheries.

Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts