Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
shoulders can be first bleached in lite javex solution to deflue the feather, as heron ... this is timed visually using forceps for each feather ... rinse in clear cold water ... then time dye in active bath : your colour choice ... it is best to remove base fibres off quill ... V-sections tied in 360 or otherwise ... tip hackled ... pintail flank offers another source ...

comments welcomed ...

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
spey hackle

Been doing just that with canada goode flank feathers for yrs. To much bleach will stiffen the feathers.. REAL KILLER HACKLE THAT I HAVE BEEN USING LATELY IS SWAN!! This stuff is HUGE:whoa: -- only problem is the stems are square --not round....snow white--take a marker --color of your choice and yer all set ta go...:smokin:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The only problem with bleached goose shoulder (or swan) is that the stems are rather large except near the tips; thus, tying large spey or dee flies (long shank #2-3/0 or 4/0 dee hooks, AJ Spey Hooks, Partridge Barleets, or the Tiempco 250sp) is problematic because the large stem gets in the way of tying a neat fly. And splitting bleached goose shoulder or swan stems to make them thinner is an excercise in futility because the bleaching makes the stems brittle and stiff.

I have found the best things to use in place of heron (which is illegal here in the US) are blue-eared pheasant, white-eared pheasant, brown-eared pheasant (granted these are all pricey running from $150.00-$400.00/skin or $1.00 or more/feather when purchasing loose feathers instead of a skin), Whiting Spey Hackle, schlappen (if you mash the barbs), coche, or rhea feather tips.

·
inglorious 2hander
1,048 Posts
True as you say-but

I got bags and bags of swan fer free! Also I try and use the burnt feathers before they dry completely--that way they are supple.. The canadas here in the midwest are about the size of a whole flock of dem lil ones out in PNW.. My farmer buddy treats the corn he feeds em so they produce fine round stems on the flanks. And I get the birds rite in the decoys so I can look them over before I shoot , that way I can pick the premo birds out of the flock!:chuckle: Have not tied any flies larger than a 1/0.. we have hook gap restrictions here in IN --MI. And 1/0 is pushing it just about anywhere around these parts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts