Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 15' 7/8 Highlander is the sweetest thing. What a great rod!!!
You are putting out way to many kick ass rods.
Good bye Harley hello mountains of graphite. :saevilw:
The 16' 9/10/11 also kicks ass!!!

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
howdy kev, how are ya? good on this end....

i can't wait to cast the 16'er, and the 15 7/8 is quite intriguing. I must cast that one as well. i am ready to have one built, however; picking the right one is not an easy task.

vinnie

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I drove home thinking "what can I sell to finance this purchase?" A seriously amazing rod.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
that rod was liking that 6/7 XLT....

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Vin,

I think once you try the 15' 7/8 your money will find a new home!
It is that good.

Steve it was nice to finally meet you in person.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Big K1 said:
Hi Vin,

I think once you try the 15' 7/8 your money will find a new home!
It is that good.

Steve it was nice to finally meet you in person.

Mine too! :hihi:

·
Registered
713 Posts
it is only a matter of time for me. I cannot get over how nice that rod cast. I am starting to feel sorry for my 8150, I have definetly found its replacement.
Mike

·
Registered
54 Posts
Guess I better put my order in now, looks like Meiz might run out! This rod ROCKS. Vinnie, you're in for a treat. The 16 is a rocket, my son was grass casting 120'+.

·
Registered
630 Posts
How many folks had a chance to run some lines through the 15' 8/9? Would like to hear what you thought of that rod.

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Me too!

I am a (bad casting) short rod, short head guy with all the casting faults that short bellies let you get away with. I really dislike(d) longer rods and lines, but I love the 15' 7/8 like those who commented above. For once a long rod that flings remarkable lengths of line, doesn't rip your shoulder apart when you swing it, and it tolerates bad technique as well! It is no wonder Meiz, Mike and Speybum could never find the rod during the clave. Everyone kept sneaking it way down river in hopes it would be left behind at day's end!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me too

Mike Kinney special series are incredible rods that i have not experienced before. They are designed for Skagit Heads but cast very well on long belly lines too. To me, its design nature: soft butt; stiff top allows me to generate a very tight forward loop regardless power level apply to it still have the FEEL.

Good to go Meiz.

Simon Hsieh

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Brian, Doug Duncan and I cast the 15 7/8 with a Snobee 8/9, a xlt 7/8, an xlt 6/7, and a Carron 10/11. The xlt 7/8 was a little over, with the xlt 6/7 just right. Of course the Carron worked very well. The snobee was nice too, but this rod begs for a longer belly. Very smooth casting rod with plenty of reserve.

·
124 Posts
Sweet Rod

Lon states it well in the above post. We gave this rod a pretty good workout and it passed with flying colors. The only problem I had was not finding it on the rod rack when I wanted to try another line :) It was in high demand.This rod performed very well with all lines tested. My favorite was the 6/7 XLT. Fast action, smooth power with some flex to it. The rod feels so comfortable in the hand. Bob also did a nice job with the cork dimensions on this rod, which allows the caster to have a wide comfortable grip on the rod. Hopefully, I can get my order in before the rest of you guys!! :hihi:

Nice work Bob!!

-Doug

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Doug, looks like you finally found the ultimate 15 for a 7, huh? I'll be bending your ear soon! And Meiser's too!

·
124 Posts
Moose - When you get a chance, cast the rod. I don't think you will be disappointed. I have been wanting a 15' 7/8 weight for some time now. This rod seemed more on the 7wt side to me.

Simon - All I can say to your post is that I felt pretty damn good this past weekend. How can you not feel good when you have that many rods to cast, along with a bunch of great casters and people to hang out with. Seemed like the time just went by too fast. Didn't get a chance to cast everything that I wanted to. :mad:

-Doug

·
Registered
630 Posts
highlander 15' 7/8!!!! Took about two casts and I knew this rod was dead on for a 7/8 long liner. Was impressed when it would cast the whole 7/8 xlt, it was definatley at the max grain range with that line but it did have the reserve to handle it on the water. Bob put me on the list, I gotta have one for this summer :D

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Brian,

I felt the same way about the 7/8, it rocks. And both of the 16's are terrific too. Now I face a conundrum since I like the 15' 7/8 and the lighter 16' since both of them would be great greased line rods on medium to large rivers. And the heavier 16' rocks with a 9/10 long belly.

·
JD
3,610 Posts
Due to the condition and season (springer season,,, meaning bubba is out in force) I haven't been out in a while. So I am out of practice. And being a lefty, was at a disadvantage at the Sandy. I just didn't feel I was able to get the most out of any of the long belly set ups. Never the less,that Meiser Highlander 15' 7/8 is a real winner. It felt good with either the 7/8 or the 6/7 XLT line on it. Meise, just call it a 7 wt and let it go at that. :hihi: Would have been nice to have tried some of the new, lighter Grand Speys on it as well. I just wish I could have cast it on a river right situation.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Doug Duncan said:
Moose - When you get a chance, cast the rod. I don't think you will be disappointed. I have been wanting a 15' 7/8 weight for some time now.
Doug

I'm hoping to do just that. I too have been trying to find the perfect 15 footer for a 6/7 XLT and have tried several, nice rods all of them, but just haven't yet felt that magic that made me pull the trigger on a purchase. Wouldn't surprise me if Meiz produced yet another Ju-Ju rod.

Look forward to hearing some stories about this years Sandy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts