Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The excellent Kispioux/Skeena guide Jim Allen, who is taking care of some of my friends on an annual basis, just got in touch.

I found out that Jim has two slots free due to last minute cancellations. The dates are for 10th to 17th and the 18th to the 25th September.

I anyone of you are interested please get in touch so I can hook you up with him.

Per Stadigh

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spey"god",

Do think I, who after all is one of the ol´chaps on this forum, not would have gotten a clearance from Dana before trying to help Jim out? Just think about it, if that is within your capacity.

Per Stadigh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry Mr Per but I am new here and just wanted to uphold the high standards that are set here but do find it unfair that you can get clearance for non sponsors and then what about those that do sponsor, or the message that you are sending to those that innocentlly post about non sponsors. Respectfully can you wrap your head around that one!:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Qouted from another recent post.

"The original post, on the subject of Needle flies and Tube flies, was subject to editorial censorship ( in the removal of hyperlinks which I considered informative and pertinent to the main content of my post).

A message from Dana, the administrator, explained the censorship as follows:

welcome!
welcome, John! Thanks for an excellent post.

you'll notice that I have eliminated the hot links from your post. This is because we are sponsor-supported and any links to non-sponsor web sites really put our sponsors at a disadvantage.

If you'd like to advertise your fly retail business with us we'd be happy to quote you our rates!

end quote.

I was subsequenty informed by "Willie Gunn", one of the moderators of the forum, that I had broken the rules. He asked that I edit the offending post.

I am not prepared to accept censorship of my posts, nor am I prepared to edit them to satisfy the commercial interests of the sponsors. I have therefore decided to delete my original post. I will leave my subsequent posts unedited in explanation of my action. They will, no doubt, be removed by the administrator in due course.

My original post was motivated simply by the wish to give information which I hoped might be of interest to like minded fishermen and not in the hope of any commercial gain, either for myself or others.

I will now seek a forum where the free and uncensored exchange of information is valued and unfettered by commercial interest."

Quoted from another post. I am sure that the guide in question is excellant, and these posts in no way reflect on him but only on you Per, and what should be fair for all!

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I could possibly agree that you would have a point if I had posted Jim's contact details. I have not.

I think, and this is to all, we must be careful not to turn this board into one where we get more "sponsor-polices" than we need.

Information must be allowed to be swapped between anglers in a reasonably free way. This board will go stale otherwise. The sponsors are more likely to withdraw for that reason, if you ask me. An attack, however innocent like yours might be, still has a vague smell of McCarthyism about it. That scares me!

Per

·
Registered
14 Posts
Per, my post was more one of sarcasm and contempt for the way some people are treated on the forum and the way policies are set. I believe like you do that the forum would go stale if it were to continue like this as it is supposed to be a "open" forum. Although I am new to posting here it dosnt mean that I have not been following the posts for some time now and have seen some grave injustices done here.

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get very split feelings about all this. I just read Sean's long and explanative entry on the other thread. (Hookup..... under Techniques. Of course the forum needs that money - the alternative is that we all users pay an annual fee of some kind. Maybe 10$ would make quite a difference.....?

But who many would actually pay???

Per

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I would.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just a though (or two)

Per - I missed a chance to meet you when you were visiting the states (Skagit) some years back, but have always enjoyed your posts on this board. And I agree - those who travel up to northern BC and are looking for a good guide will be very appreciative to hear that Jim is available. If I was headed that way, i'd give him a call in a second!

Speygod - these policies and intrusions by moderators and the Administrator ~are~ offensive. Unfortunately, there have been those who consciously and repeatedly used these Forums as a free venue to advertise their products.

It used to be that a discreet email to those who promoted their products was enough. But those have been ignored enough times that I sympathize and appreciate why Dana, Juro, and the current Moderators feel it is necessary to post these reminders on the board.

It's the price of growth. When the board members all knew one another personally, there was a level of accountability beyond the electronic realms. Now, many of us will never meet on a river or beach.

I don't like it (necessity of sponsorship promotion) anymore than the next angler, but I also appreciate why it is necessary.

Sponsorships fund the server space to store pictures, streamed videos, and all those archived messages. Nobody's getting rich off this - they're just barely making ends meet for all our benefit.

Lets all give each other a little slack and assume the best intents of our fellow anglers until proven otherwise. That used to be the unwritten rule on this board, and I hope we find our way back there again.

My .02,

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts