Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this club or other folks still cast at Golden Gate PArk in San Francisco...if so, what days and times generally...any spey casters there? Thanks...travelling that way in a few weeks and just curious as to whether it still exists/meets/etc/?

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I think I'm qualified to answer as I still have my club patches somewhere around the house here in Woodinville WA. Yes, they still cast there, and yes there are some very dedicated spey casters there, including Mel Krieger . As to days and times, that's another issue. Go on a nice weekend day, and you will find the clubhouse open, and you can go in and find out hours and such, and who speycasts and when.

Otherwise the ponds are always open and you can just go and cast whenever you want, and you may run into people, and there may be a member who has the key to the cottage, and there may even be a spey caster around.

For your first time, I would go on crowded weekend just to find out about joining, and casting events, etc.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like Philster said, any nice saturday is a good bet. The best way to draw out the members is to bring along a little hottie with a bad tailing loop. Give some equally bad "expert" instruction and they'll come out of their hole. The maiden in distress works everytime! Short of that, a new spey rod that they have never seeen will also raise some intrest. Characters to look for are Mariuse(sp), Roel, Floyde, Tor, Gary and there are probably many others now too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
nationals in SF July 27 Aug 2

The ploy in the previous post is a proven hook- tube top, long shanks, up-eye, hunchback, whatever, it always works... Also, however, there is an interesting upcoming event -

http://www.americancastingassoc.org/tournaments.html

There is a discussion about bringing in the spey princes, for prizes, money, ad copy and hangovers, sometime next year.

Meanwhile, if you are in town, this event should be worth your while - located just across from the Buffalo paddock in Golden Gate Park.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts