Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come one, Come all spey casting enthusiasts!

On the behalf of The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club situated in San Francisco California it is my pleasure to make the following announcement. I have copied the GGACC Speyorama announcement in its' entirety to avoid any confusion. Well known spey casters from around the world have been invited. It should be a fun and educational weekend for everyone involved. For more information regarding the GGACC or the event please take a look at www.ggacc.org directly or I will help where I can. I hope to see everyone there..

Spey Exhibits – Spey Certification – Spey Instruction – Spey Competition
Spey-o-Rama

January 8, 2004

Dear Friend

The Golden Gate Angling and Casting club is pleased to invite you to participate in our upcoming Spey-o-Rama event on April 23,24&25th, 2004. This exciting event will bring together the best Spey casters from four continents and will be one of the premier events in the world focused solely on Spey casting. This event will feature manufacture and retailer exhibits, FFF Certification for Spey Casting Instructors, demonstrations and instruction by the world’s best casters, and a competition. Best of all these events will be held on water at the Angler’s Lodge and Casting Pools in Golden Gate Park. The schedule for the Spey-o-Rama is:

April 23: Exhibits; FFF Certification for Spey Casting Instructors
April 24: Exhibits; Spey Demonstrations and Instruction
April 25: Exhibits; Spey Demonstrations, and Spey Casting Competition

As a leader in the manufacture of Spey equipment, we would like to encourage you to participate in this event by hosting an exhibit that will be poolside at this event. Spey casting is one of the most exciting and fastest growing sectors of our sport and we think that bringing together the world’s best Spey casters and tackle manufacturers for this event will be a great opportunity to advance our sport.

Miracle Productions Company plan to produce the most sophisticated and comprehensive video-DVD on Spey casting ever done. They will have a professional film crew at our pools the entire 3 days. Demonstrators will be filmed and interviewed.

We welcome observers, demonstrators and manufacturers----- This extravaganza is free to one and all.

Please fill out the enclosed registration sheet and mail or E mail to:

Bill Ward, President of Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club
20 Woodleaf Lane
Redwood City, Ca. 94061
E Mail <[email protected]

Mel Krieger, Chairman of Spey-O-Rama.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The dates April 23, 24, 25 are a DISASTER!

To my freinds on this board. My own club scheduled the Speyorama on the opening weekend of the Sierra trout season. The following letter to the president of the GGACC is self-explanatory.

To all members of GGACC who may read this and to whom fishing is important, please join with me to bring the case for a different Speyorama date the Board of Directors of the club.
------------------
January 12, 2004
Mr. Bill Ward, President
Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club

Dear Bill,
Thank you for your efforts on behalf of all GGACC members. Being an officer of a voluntary recreational group is not easy duty.

Regarding the Speyorama, it is an excellent idea. For 3-1/2 years all things Spey have filled my thoughts and dreams. Last year, the club bulletin printed my two part article titled "Are Two Hands Better than One?"

But the date is a disaster!!!!

Bill, Sierra trout season always opens the last Saturday of April, and until this year the GGACC event on the last Saturday of April was Mel Krieger's fine program of free instruction. This I could miss for the trout opener.

I travel quite a lot to Spey fish, and now my home club presents, what for me is THE major GGACC event of the year, a Speyorama on the opening weekend of Sierra trout season! With all respect the dates are not acceptable. As a fisherman above all, missing the trout opener is not an option. Nor should other members of this fine club be faced with such a decision. The name of our club has the word "Angling" before "Casting."

Will you please return e-mail to me the names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of the officers and directors of our club. Alternatively a fax to 707.429.2424 will be appreciated. Please mail to me at the address in club membership records a current membership roster.

I will appreciate a telephone call at 707.322.3583 to discuss the issue. Thank you in advance for your help.

Very best regards,
Bob Pauli

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dear Bob,

It never ceases to amaze me on just how active and “involved” our membership is. I have been on the board of directors of the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club for seven years, and president for the past four. During that period your club has hosted two National Champion Casting Tournaments, several television shows, and the highest rated OLN fly fishing show “THE FLY FISHING MASTERS”. {WON BY TWO GGACC MEMBERS, Tim and Steve Rajeff}
I am sure you are aware hosting events of such magnitude, involves incredible logistics. Our fine facility is located in the heart of the most beautiful city in the world, San Francisco. When we decide to host an event where commercial Television and filming are involved it requires involving the City of San Francisco, the film commission, the Parks and Rec. dept. and several other city depts. additionally the city schedules closure of the park several times a year for special events. And last but not least, no less than four tackle shows, in our area, the Sandy Spey Clave, and the availability of the attending premier casting personalities, I think you get the idea.
Bob life is about informed choices, given the above logistics, the board does indeed feel we made the best possible choice in selecting the dates of April 23, 24th and 25th.
I want to thank you for your valuable input and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

William M Ward
GGACC President
[email protected]
650-306-9333

·
Registered
378 Posts
I am interested in coming down for this event. I am wondering if anyone can help with a couple of questions:
How close is the club to the San Francisco airport and are there decent mid-price range hotels near by?
Thank you in advance!
Brian Niska:cool:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Speyorama

Brian, the casting club is in Golden Gate Park, about 20-25 min. drive from the SF airport. Motels outside SF are certainly less expensive. There are quite a few in the towns between the airport and SF. There are also a couple of possibilities near the west end of the park, near the beach.

As a longtime fanatic trout fisher, I will happily miss an Opening Day for this great event. The best thing about the Speyorama is that it will be highly inclusive and bring together top casters from the different schools and styles of casting along with the gear that goes with them. We will get to see, try and learn the differing techniques and equipment. Long line boomers, short belly aces, shooting head guns from Scandinavia, traditional style old world masters, Skagit sinktip killers all are expected to be there. Even the legendary innovator, Jim Green, who designed American two-handers over 20 years ago, and hosted speycasting competitions years ago will make the trip at age 80+ and has some new innovations to show us.

I understand that three of the fine Japanese speycasters, a Scandinavian caster from Loop, one of England's best casters and rod designers and a number of North America's best (including Lastcast Steve, above) have already accepted.

I wouldn't miss this for anything! Great casters, great teachers, the latest gear, a wonderful facility - make plans now!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
It looks like I will attending the Spey-O-Rama as well. Team CND will include one Canadian! This will be very cool! :smokin:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear Kush, Brian, etc.,

It will be great to see you guys down south of the border for a change. I assume that Bill Ward is monitoring this thread, but if not I will try and contact him with regards to making arrangements for group hotel accomadations. I had the opportunity to spend a weekend at the GGACC about a month ago and the GGACC facilty, casting ponds, and hospitality were amazing to say the least. Marisuz Wroblewski, Rick Nunez, Jay Clark and Bill Ward and the rest of the GGACC, many of whom I have not had the opportunity to meet yet really go out of there way to make everyone feel welcome. Marisuz and Jay are fabulous underhand casters in their own right and I'm sure will provide many with all the instruction they could ask for. I spoke with my fishing buddy Way Yin yesterday and he and I will definitely be there and looking forward to providing a demonstration as well as learning from all the rest of the casters. I'm really glad to see that friends from BC will be attending. I have also sent Ian Gordon an invitation, but have not heard back from him yet..It be wonderful to have him attend...he's quite an incredible caster, as well as lots of fun to sit and drink a wee dram of scotch with...Again, good to see you guys will be there, it should be an incredible event!!

steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear Speynuts,

I wanted to take the opportunity to give everyone a short update...Andy Murray, "the Heart of Hardy" has confirmed his attendance...he is the true epitomy of smooth, and one of the most humble guys you would ever want to meet...his only rival may be his son Hamish! I also have a tentative reply from Ian Gordon designer of the Carron Jetstream, and his fishing buddy Bill Drury, that they will be attending the GGACC speyorama...these guys are truly incredible to watch and also as classy as you'd ever want to meet. I have also heard from Mariusz Wroblewski and Mel Krieger that Charles Jardine has confirmed that he will be attending...It was my pleasure to have met Charles and his son in England..Charles is a wonderful caster, down to earth and a true gentleman! The GGACC is working quickly to try and figure out some group accomodations, and many of its members have graciously offered to provide housing for attendees and demonstrators. Mariusz Wroblewski and Rick Nunez have also said that they are working on installing lights around the ponds, so that after a weee dram of scotch, we can all enjoy some casting after dark! This should be a truly wonderful event!

Best,

Steve

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Double Darn!!

I wish we 'Rogue Rats' could come down to join you all 'a-mas.'

But, are San Fran's ready for an influx of So_Or's???

:devil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Freddie,
The GGACC speyorama is open to everyone and I would personally enjoy seeing you attend! Please warm up the motorhome and load it with all of your fellow southern Oregon buddies, your beautiful wife and plan on attending!!

It seems that I have failed to post the direct contact information regarding registration for manufacturers, demonstrators, etc., wishing to participate at the Speyorama...The following is the registration form:

Spey-O-Rama 2004

Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California, USA

To register for the Spey-O-Rama, please fill out the information below and mail to:

William Ward, President GGACC
20 Woodleaf Lane
Redwood City, California 94061
USA

Or E-mail the information to: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>, Fax: (650) 306-9489

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spey-O-Rama Registration Form

Name: First: ______________________________Last: _____________________________

Address: Street: ___________________City: ___________________State: ___________

Phone: Home: ( ) ______________ Business: ( )______________________

Email Address: ______________________ Fax Number: ____________________

I will be Participating as:
(Please Check All That Apply)

___ Demonstrator ___ Competitor ___ Manufacturer ___ Observer

___ FFF Spey Casting Instructor Certification Applicant
Note: Applicants must be pre-scheduled for FFF Spey Casting Instructor testing.
To schedule, please contact Mariusz Wroblewski by email at [email protected]
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Thank you very much for your interest in this exciting event.

We at GGACC look forward to your participation!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Spey-o-rama Accomodations

Hi all,

Through the family of some of the attendees I have made arangments for rooms at the rate of $70 per night for Spey-O-Rama attendees.

The motel is the Oasis Inn located at 900 Franklin Street about 3 blocks form SF city Hall. It is an easy 15-20 minutes drive from the GGACC and you only have to make 4 turns to get there. There is free, off street, unsecured, covered parking available at the Oasis. There is also a jacussi and a meeting room. Within one block is a liquor store and a Burger King. For dinner I suggest Tommy's Joint (a SF landmark) for great cheap meals, a funky ambiance and a decent (not large) selection of beers. Tommy's Joint is about 4 blocks from the Oasis.

To make reservations call (800) 843-4021 and mention Spey-O-Rama or the Spey Competition to get the special rate. Rates will apply from Thursday April 22 through Sunday April 25, 2004. Oasis fax # (415) 474-1652, email: [email protected].

This message is not from GGACC but from a Spey-O-Rama attendee. This motel was used as a venue hotel last summer by GGACC during the 2004 ACA National Tournament.

Guy Manning
[email protected]
FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor
FFFCCI Moderator
Flycasting Moderator

·
Registered
16 Posts
Accommodations for Spey-0-Rama

Great Highway Inn, San Francisco

1234 Great Highway
San Francisco Ca 94122
San Francisco
CA
United States

Year Built - 1956 Year Remodeled - 1998 Great Highway Inn, The Beach Resort, Was Remodeled In 1998 Inside And Outside To Provide Our Guests Clean And Comfortable Rooms. Enjoy Ocean Views From The Third Floor. Guests Can Relax In A Neighborhood Location Rather Than The Hustle, Bustle Of The Downtown Area. Public Transportation To Downtown And Pacific Bell Baseball Park Is Just Two Blocks Away. Nearby Attractions Are Beautiful Golden Gate Park, The Historic Cliff House And The San Francisco Zoo. The Inn Offers Free Guest Parking And Free Shuttle Service To Ucsf Medical Center. There Is Also Ladda S Thai And American Restaurant On Site.

Great Highway Inn, San Francisco / Property Amenities

Golf Course

Non Smoking Rooms

Car Rent Desk

Family Rooms

Great Highway Inn, San Francisco / Property Information

Check In Time - 1500

Check Out Time - 1100

Great Highway Inn, San Francisco / Policies & Disclaimers

Bookings Are Subject To A 25 Usd Fee For Any Cancellation/Change. If Cancellation Occurs Within 4 Pm Of Check In Date, A One-night Charge Will Be Assessed. No Refunds Will Be Made For No-shows Or Early Checkouts.

Great Highway Inn, San Francisco / Cancellation Policy

Our Policy: Cancel at least 72 HOURS prior to arrival.
Hotel's Policy: Bookings Are Subject To A 25 Usd Fee For Any Cancellation/Change. If Cancellation Occurs Within 4 Pm Of Check In Date, A One-night Charge Will Be Assessed. No Refunds Will Be Made For No-shows Or Early Checkouts.
(Please note: The most restrictive rule applies)

Great Highway Inn

NOTE WE HAVE A SPECIAL RATE OF $98 FOR A DOUBLE AND $88 FOR A SINGLE. NOTE MUST ADVISE THAT YOU ARE ATTENDING THE SPEY-O-RAMA . PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE CITY OF SAN FRANCISCO CHARGES 14% ROOM TAX ON TOP OF YOUR ROOM RATE.

THIS INN IS .3 MILES FROM THE CLUB AND ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE OCEAN.

ASK FOR TOM OR LINDA
415-731-6644

COPY AND PASTE TO SEE PHOTOS:
http://reservation.hotels2k.com/index.jsp?

·
Registered
16 Posts
~~~~He's Commmmming!! ~~~~~

~~~ Knut SYRSTAD~~~

~~~SPEY-O-RAMA~~~

Original Message -----
To: "Mariusz Wroblewski" SPEY-O-RAMA <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 12:11 PM
Subject: SV:

> Hi Mariusz.
>
> My brother Knut is training and he will take part in april.
>
> Just one question, how long do the best casters cast, and are you standing
> out in the water during the casting-competition. Is it fast running water
or
> just a lake?
>
> Best regards
> Trond

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys,

Just a quick update: The speyorama is quickly approaching and looks to be a must attend event!

The GGACC speyorama is looking to be a spectacular event! The confirmed attendees are as follows: Goran Andersson, Andy Murray, Ian Gordon, Bill Drury, Trond and Knut Syrstad, Leif Stavmo, Nobuo Nodera, Tak Shimosava, Kush and Dana, and Way Yin. Almost all rod and line manufacturers will be represented as well.

I have been asked to try and clarify some of the rules regarding the casting competition at the speyorama, and have contacted the GGACC regarding the the need to pre-register for the casting competition, running line characteristics, i.e. floating or sinking, diameter requirements, etc..replacement of running line on midspey, or long belly type lines, the availability of a ladies division, etc. As soon as I hear back I will reply here.

Please start confirming your schedules to attend the speyorama...it will as Fred would say, as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!

Bestregards,
Steve

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Steve et. al. -

I will not be entering the competition but I will have my associate represent me instead. He's quite capable but his food bill is a bit high, especially with such fine cuisine as there is available in San Francisco...

:chuckle: I look forward to seeing everyone there!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dear Juro,

I apologize for not including you in the above post. Actually there are numerous others that I failed to mention also because there attendance was not completely confirmed, i.e., John and Amy Hazel, Al Buhr, Dennis Grant, etc., etc. I also failed to mention my buddy out in eastern Canada, Rick Whorwood has also confirmed that he will be making the trip with his wife.

I recieved answers to some of the questions regarding the casting competition from Mr. Mariusz Wroblewski and they are as follows:

Is there a seperate ladies competition?

Mariuszs' Reply: We didn't plan on it but I think we should do it.

May anybody enter the casting competition on the day of the event, or must people pre-register?

Mariuszs' Reply: I think it would be OK it is open to all.

Can a caster use 2 different rods or lines from left side/right side as long as they meet the length and line requirments?

Mariuszs' Reply: I don't see why not.

What are restrictions for shooting line...must it float, are there diameter restrictions? and can this be used as running line on the back of a cut to length mid spey or long belly line such as the gradspey or XLT...

The lines should be out of the box and not modified. I think you could use any kind of shooting line behind the whole line since there is no restrictions on backing.

I hope this information helps answer some of the questions I've received. Again, If I have left anyone out who is planning on attending, I apologize.

Juro, I'm glad to see that you and your casting buddy will be making the journey, just remind him of the 15' rod length restriction.

·
Registered
210 Posts
GGACC Spey-O-Rama Event Schedule, April 23 - 25, 2004

Dear Spey Casting Enthusiasts,

The GGACC Spey-O-Rama Committee would like to post the event schedule as follows:

Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club's Spey-O-Rama Event Schedule
Location: Casting Ponds at the Golden Gate Park, San Francisco

Friday, April 23
8:00 am Continental Breakfast for Demonstrators/Exhibitors
Exhibitor Setup
9:30 am - 12:00pm Open casting, Test Spey Equipment
FFF Spey Casting Certification
12:00 - 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 - 5:00 pm Open casting, Test Spey Equipment
FFF Spey Casting Certification
6:00 pm Dinner

Saturday, April 24
Exhibitor Setup
9:30 am - 5:00 pm Overhead Distance & Spey Casting Competitions Qualifying Round
Open casting, Test Spey Equipment

9:30 - 10:00 am Demonstration by Dana Sturn, Canada
10:15 - 10:45 am Demonstration by Andy Murray (Hardy), UK
11:00 - 11:30 am Demonstration by Nobuo Nodera (CND), Japan
11:45 am - 12:15 pm Demonstration by Goran Andersson (Loop), Sweden
12:15 - 1:15 pm Lunch
1:15 - 1:45 pm Demonstration by Ian Gordon, Scotland & Bill Drury, UK
2:00 - 2:30 pm Demonstration by Knut & Trond Syrstad, Norway
2:45 - 3:15 pm Demonstration by Tak Shimosawa (CND), Japan
3:30 - 4:00 pm Demonstration by Steve Choate & Dr. Way Yin, USA
4:15 - 4:45 pm Demonstration by Dennis Grant, Canada
5:00 - 5:30 pm Demonstration by Chris King (Scott), USA
5:45 - 6:15 pm Demonstrationn by John Hazel. USA
6:30pm Dinner

Sunday, April 25
Exhibitor Setup
9:30 am - 5:00 pm Open casting, Test Spey Equipment
9:30 am - 12:00 pm Overhead Distance & Spey Casting Competitions Final
12:00 - 1:00 pm Lunch
1:00 - 1:30pm Demonstration by Steve Rajeff (Loomis), USA
1:45 - 2:15 pm Demonstration by Hiroshi Okada (Blood Knot), Japan
2:30 - 3:00 pm Demonstration by Mariusz Wroblewski (GGACC), USA

We would appreciate all the demonstators to review the proposed schedule and confirm the scheduled times by emailing to [email protected].

The Overhead Casting Competition will be performed from the casting platform.
Competitors for the Spey Casting Competition will need to bring waders and boots as the competition will be performed in the water and not from the platform. We would like to receive advance registration for the casting competitions if at all possible so we can get an idea how much time will be needed for qualifying and final rounds, please email [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you all at the Spey-O-Rama!

For GGACC Spey-O-Rama Committee

·
Registered
3 Posts
What A Day!

What a day! Went over the the GGACC on Saturday. Couldn't make it all three days and what a shame. Saturday was a perfect day in Golden Gate Park. Mild temps; sun - no fog, and very little wind. About as good as the weather can get.

The GGACC put on a superb event. Mel Kreiger was the emcee and did a great job keeping things moving along. The GGACC even provided a complimentary lunch. I don't know if anyone did a head count, but I guess maybe 100. Maybe a little more.

The demonstration casting was great. All that expertise, in one place, and for me, all in one day. I missed the first demo. I understand John Hazel filled in for Dana Sturn. Did see Andy Murray, Nobuo Nodera, Goran Andersson (whose smooth style can put you to sleep while he casts 150 feet), Ian Gordon & Bill Drury (in kilts), Knut & Trond Syrstad (twin brothers, referred to as "big and bigger" by one of the other demonstrators, Tak Shimosawa (a gentleman on the small side who demonstrated that size isn't the issue, Steve Choate & Dr. Way Yin (gave a very polished presentation). I hadn't seen them before, but it was obvious this was there first spey demo.

I also got to meet Juro. His hay fever allergies must have been bothering him. His eyes looked a little bleary Saturday morning.

There was plenty of filming going on also. I understand GGACC will have a DVD available in the future with all the demos. I'll be checking their website. It'll probably show up here too.

All in all, a great day. If you couldn't make it - maybe next time. I'm going to try to make the Sandy Clave. I am really hooked.

Shortstrike

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Shortstrike, you really know how to hurt a guy

I live 90 mins from the park and couldn't make it, could not get out of work saturday. Man, what a lineup! Can't wait for the video.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts