Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't really call this a variant- it's so far off from the original!

To you gents' who can tie these classics... TOTAL RESPECT!!!!!

I won't be doing much more of these for a while.

Thanks for looking,

-Bill

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,859 Posts
Very Nice Bill

So glad you have awaken from your slumber

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,165 Posts
Bwana -

Why stop? There's nothing wrong with that fly that I can see. It's the answer to "what's for supper?".

I'd fish the hell out of it, holding my mouth right, of course! :chuckle:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the kindness!

I'm not really displeased with this tie, I'm just not totally pleased with what was in my mind and what finally came from the hand.

Two things with the classics, and any other fly for that matter, that have always been a killer for me are married wings and neat heads.

Married wings most always end in divorce. Tied and re-tied until, if there's anything remaining in me, I'll try a mess of a mixed wing with what's left, both of the wing and my soul!! If I manage to pull it off somehow, it brings me to the real test...

The head!!!! I just can't figure out how to keep it all together at this point. Physically on the fly, emotionally on my part! There's a lot of material to cover up, and quite bulky. I think I've gotten it, then tighten up a hitch ready for the finish, and it all cascades down the eye!! Walk away from the fly, have a beer or two, maybe three, try to figure out how to untangle the mess, then get the razor out. It's the only way sometimes!!!!

Matt, hook is an Adlington & Hutchinson 3/0.

Cheers my friends,

-Bill

G

·
Mixed wing

Keep it and have a beer or two for another one in comparison.
I think it's just fine, and a bloke that can't tie would be thrilled to own it.
Give it to someone on the water maybe

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,859 Posts
Bill I am on the Water

And would fish the hell out of it
:)

Keep it and have a beer or two for another one in comparison.
I think it's just fine, and a bloke that can't tie would be thrilled to own it.
Give it to someone on the water maybe

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
I find a mix wing to be ten times harder to set than a married wing. Your wing is balanced and fits the hook. Fish that puppy.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I really like this. Just curious, why only two turns of tinsel in the tag? It makes the floss section look too elongated which throws off the look a little. Other than maybe a shorter hackle id be happy with this!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Nice! Good portions for sure!
The one thing that never seems to amaze me, how many barbs it takes to make a mix wing. Ridiculous! I tried setting a mix wing once with out soft looping and said hell no, found a reference in Kelson book on what looks like what we call soft loop, haven't done it another way since. I have a new love for these fleas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts