Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tellumnothing
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fly tyers,
Can anyone help me find "gold twist tinsel?" There's plenty of silver twist out there, but I can't locate any gold twist anywhere. One of the fly tying companies carries it but it's only available in silver, Gold and copper are out of stock.
Thanks for your help.
Tellumnothing

·
Tellumnothing
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gold twist

Aaron,
I sure hate to admit this but if I want to find my goal twist, I must. How do I PMU and what does it mean?
Tellumnothing

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pm means "private message". I'm not Aaron, but just hit his user name and you will get a drop-down menu. Choose the appropriate item and send Aaron a message. Or you can just google his business site "aofeathers" find his email and communicate with him. Good guy to deal with.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks. For some reason I thought Twist was woven wires. But the only difference is round XS rather than oval.... similar cores. Does anyone actually sell round tinsels that are labelled as "Twist"?
Went to Radencich's book which is pretty clear on the differences and includes lace.

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
Good tinsel is very hard to come by these days. Metal tinsels are almost non existing, most ovals are wound too sparsely, and those that are acceptable don't come in small enough sizes, ect. Sad.

As far as I'm aware Lagurtun was the only fly tying orientated company offering round (twist). Im sure embroidery stores has it but their websites are a joke to navigate and choose the right tinsel is impossible...

Uni offers what they call micro tinsel and I do believe it is round and comes ir wide range of colors. Never handled one but I assume if you take 3 strands of that and twist you might end up with a usable lace. Uni offers lace but it only comes in silver medium.

Educate me because im not aware of a pattern calling for gold lace.

Somehow, somebody, sometime soon needs to step up and create a nice line of tinsels. Until then UNI is duable. I still think their oval could be improved.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Just to clarify....

Of the best known classic authors, (Kelson) refers to round thread tinsel as "twist". He also refers to three strands of round thread twisted together as "lace".

Another well know classic author (Pryce Tannatt) calls these materials exactly what the embroidery and textile industry (where these materials ACTUALLY come from) call them. Round thread tinsel is called "thread tinsel". Three strands of thread tinsel is called "twist". (in his book and in his patterns)

This can be confusing when trying to read patterns, (especially if the author is unknown)and source material.

Domantas, The Major (Kelson) calls for gold lace (twist).

Good tinsel is where you find it :)

Aaron

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just untwist uni's "twist" (what kelson refers to as lace) then you have 3 strands of thread (what kelson refers to as twist: a single strand of round tinsel as you know). But i dont know if it cones in any other color than silver. Oval sucks as a tag onces you use round youll never go back! (Unless the pattern calls for oval in the tag hehe)

BUT uni doesnt have a silk core like lagartun does, but thats just being picky :chuckle: i think lagartun does have a round tinsel but i dont know forsure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts