Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently came into possession of a nearly brand new Gold N' West Spey rod. It is 13'0 8 wt, and like most if not all that were made by Maxwell, it is a very slow rod. I purchased a CND line on advice from a local guy at a spey casting clinic. Obviously since I've been casting for about a month and a half I'm no expert, but I'm having a fair bit of trouble. I can throw the whole head, plus about 5-10 feet of running line, but it doesnt cast like I'd hoped. I've casted other faster rods set up with a windcutter or skagit head system, and I havent had much trouble throwing decent looking casts. Someone also recently told me that slow rods are better with shorter heads like the Wind Cutter, but I dont really know. I was just hoping for some guidance. What lines should work well on a slow rod like mine? I know the rod is a little dated, but I've grown fond of it, and I bought it for 100 bucks so its about as good a deal as one could find.
Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
I'm not sure how long the belly is on the CND line but it seems to me that I'm probably casting about the distance of the "maximum effective distance" thats some interesting insight. Also I've found the casts I can throw typically throw best when my hand is near the top of the cork, but i'll try putting my hand lower a while and see what I think
Will

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.