Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chart is looking miserable this year.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I see IDFG has went to a 5-year average instead of 10. So the graph is showing a flat line and dismal even when compared to 5 of the worst years on record ... so, yes.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,526 Posts
I’m not jumping to conclusions yet but at the same time am looking at alternatives to both my October Clearwater trip and my November time on the Snake. It has been 20 plus years since I missed a fall on the Snake. To lose those days every Fall would be like losing a limb.

I really fear for both the short term (1-4 years) fishing prospects and the long term survival of the species in the system.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I checked the Bonneville counts about 2 weeks ago and it was under half of last year, so the numbers are trending marginally better now than they did then, but still. Very troubling.

Fingers crossed things improve. As has been said, it is still quite early to make any grand assumptions about the season, but it fits what we've been seeing so is hard to not think that we are in for a depressing year (or more likely years).

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
the counts from my home river, just another devastating report. we will be a hatchery only river here soon. its so sad and aggravating what has happened to this once giant of a steelhead river. the dams, agriculture(wine and weed), private land limiting access so no-one is connected to the river anymore, except for a few small county "beaches" which only serve to pollute the river with trash and chemicals, devastating droughts, toxic run off from devastating wildfires, the list goes on. its hard not to just give up and call it, but i will still keep bending anyones ear that will listen to make sure that the past won't be forgotten and hopefully someone in power will be able to hear and have the power or passion to help in some way, no matter how small an effort its still an effort.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow, Cameron - 3.5 steelhead per spawning trip and .5 silvers per. I know it was a terrible water year, but what depressing news. I hope I’m not showing my 2 handers to my grandkids in 20 years and telling them what I used to use these museum pieces for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the counts from my home river, just another devastating report. we will be a hatchery only river here soon. its so sad and aggravating what has happened to this once giant of a steelhead river. the dams, agriculture(wine and weed), private land limiting access so no-one is connected to the river anymore
Often we allow worthy programs but do not think them through. The problem with nature is us. There are too many concentrated numbers of us and negatively impact nature. We do great sounding things like State allowing virtually unabated construction of ADU's to ease the housing crisis but with zero thought to the resultant lack of infrastructure for the additional population and the impacts that has to nature around us.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,612 Posts
The California AG water use situation is disgusting at best. Its one of those things that blows my mind....kinda like the Central Arizona Project. Why are we allowing places like Phoenix and the surrounding areas to get as big as they are? Why are we allowing water from the Colorado River to be used to grow cotton and citrus in Chandler, AZ? Why do we let a Saudi prince use Colorado River water to grow alfalfa for private export? These rivers and watersheds have nothing left to give. The fish are an afterthought to planners and managers. Then there is the issue of sewage from cities that shouldn't be.........thanks for listening, just my 2 cent rant.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,612 Posts
Well we do have a long long way to go but at least we don't do this anymore...
View attachment 381589

Nobody thought about the long term problems back then......maybe there were groups of people who did but Im sure they were drowned out. Ive worked on projects where (in Totowa, NJ) there is a famous maker of opioid medication now in bankruptcy that for years simply dumped waste material down a well that was used to extract process water from a well located inside the manufacturing building. Or a whole town considered a Superfund Site because of chromium in the ground water. Or a place in southern NJ where the main municipal well field is polluted with hexavalent chromium and the only solution was to "dilute to accepted drinking water standards". Biden should think about his infrastructure trillions which only make the same families and unions richer. Put the money into cleaning things up underground. Water flowing underground and on the surface is the thing we all share. :mad::mad:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Nobody thought about the long term problems back then......maybe there were groups of people who did but Im sure they were drowned out. Ive worked on projects where (in Totowa, NJ) there is a famous maker of opioid medication now in bankruptcy that for years simply dumped waste material down a well that was used to extract process water from a well located inside the manufacturing building. Or a whole town considered a Superfund Site because of chromium in the ground water. Or a place in southern NJ where the main municipal well field is polluted with hexavalent chromium and the only solution was to "dilute to accepted drinking water standards". Biden should think about his infrastructure trillions which only make the same families and unions richer. Put the money into cleaning things up underground. Water flowing underground and on the surface is the thing we all share. :mad::mad:

The world's population needs to be reduced by 2/3 or more!

·
Registered
110 Posts
So why have we been so concerned with Covid the last 18 months? Why are we closing the US-Canadian border? Shouldn't we just let things play out on their own and let the chips fall as they may?:unsure:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So why have we been so concerned with Covid the last 18 months? Why are we closing the US-Canadian border? Shouldn't we just let things play out on their own and let the chips fall as they may?:unsure:
to some extend, covid is a punishment from nature due to excess of human population.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts