Spey Pages banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who out here is running Steve Godshall Lines? What are your thoughts on the Scandis, Scandits and Skagits? I've heard nothing but good things about these lines.

This Friday I'll be heading down to So. Oregon to pick up my new Rod Meiser Highlander CX 15ft 7wt, I also ordered a Scandi for it from Steve Godshall. Today Steve called saying he ended up making a 47ft 528gr Scandi for me. I'll be hoping to get back on here soon and reporting back with my thoughts and pictures.

Jer

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing it's his new line. When we talked a couple weeks ago, I told him what Meiser I bought. He said he would begin working on a line for it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You heard right. He makes a rod sing. He made 1 line for me for a rod that he hadn't seen. It didn't work well so, he fully refunded my cost. All other lines have been incredible - including rods not made by Bob or Steve. I've sent lines for repair after years of hard abuse. I couldn't get him to take payment for repairing/refurbishing them. Steve is a wizard and stands behind his products!

I've bought Scandis and Scandits, float and Intermediate, all fully integrated. He'll create a unique line for your style of fishing that matches your rod and intended tips and flies. If you want a Scandi of a certain length that will lift a certain weight tip & fly, he can make it for you.

·
slipped away to grey...
764 Posts
Steve sent me a couple heads for overhead work for Musky flies last Fall to try on a Meiser 909, the fit, finish and performance was second to none.

Looking forward to fishing some of his skagit/skandit heads this Fall.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I just want to repeat the praises for Steve's lines. I have 2 scandi lines that he built for 2 Meiser rods (S2H 13068-4 & S2H 140EVE79-4). They are spot on and I am very pleased!

Doug

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
No sense in beating a dead horse but this morning called and ordered my 6th or 7th line for a quiver of Meiser rods. He picked up on 2nd ring.
The only better service is the House of The Rising Sun.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I've always felt that the "BC Scandi" lines were much too heavy for my liking, and I've got a bevvy of them.

Curious as to what @Jersquared and @SLSS are alluding to, a new line format... The most recents I got from Steve (besides a Vector XL) were all marked just as "Scandi head" for Inty and sink 3. The older lines had a taper ratio written on the card, the newer ones don't.
Aside from bugging him on the phone without a purchase, how do I know if I've got the "new lines" and what's different about them?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I've always felt that the "BC Scandi" lines were much too heavy for my liking, and I've got a bevvy of them.

Curious as to what @Jersquared and @SLSS are alluding to, a new line format... The most recents I got from Steve (besides a Vector XL) were all marked just as "Scandi head" for Inty and sink 3. The older lines had a taper ratio written on the card, the newer ones don't.
Aside from bugging him on the phone without a purchase, how do I know if I've got the "new lines" and what's different about them?
The new scandi he’s working on is longer- mid to longer 40’s. I don’t know many specifics, I just cast a couple of them, and they flew, with nice loops and great stability, 17 ft mono leader and a skater.

The BC scandi is a lot like a zone, and I mostly throw tips on it. On my 8126 MKS and on Godshall’s Hammer, I love them. I keep meaning to try them with a mono leader, but never have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sure there are more expert historians in this forum but I'll pass down what was passed onto me:

Godshall has been instrumental in testing and developing Meiser, ACR and Burkheimer rods. At one point, I believe all three makers shared warehouse space where they all worked on their blanks. Godshall was a frequent visitor in the space, and basically a fourth name on the wall. To test the rods, he used his own extruders to develop lines to test the rods. He'd go on the water (with his lines) and make notes (whatever notes a tester would make? I guess stuff like "too much butt" and "too much tip flex" or etc) to translate to the next series of blanks.

So, the point being - if you want the lines that literally made the rods: Get a Godshall line.

·
Registered
R.B. Meiser, Pieroway, Loop
292 Posts
I told Steve what I was going to be doing and he made me a pair of lines to match. One floater and one a full sink head. The service from that shop is the gold standard of what service should be. Going forward, if I need a new line I’m simply calling Steve.

·
Registered
Meiser 13689, Burkie 6128
53 Posts
I'm running Godshall lines on both my Meiser rods and they seem perfect to me. I have fished with a few others that use his lines as well and everyone seems to think the same. On top of that, you can pick up the phone and talk to him. Tell him how you plan to fish, what you want, etc, and he will know what to use and send it out. Prices are no different than any of the big name manufacturers so you get a custom built product for everyday prices. Hard to beat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts