Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a regular short to mid belly line on these 2 rods(WC,SA short, MId spey)? I have read all the reports on people testing them with the lines that they are intended for, but if I'm going to spend 800 bills on a new rod I want to know that it will do more than just throw a hacked WC and a hunk of t-14! I would love a rod that I could fish a regular SA short on one day, then the next fish out of the boat with a heavier tip in bigger water.
Thanks

·
Registered
562 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to try the Dredger GLX yet but from the folks I've talked to and some of the Loomis advertising I'm under the impression that they will work well with a full WC. The line recc from Loomis actually write that the "Dredger rods were tested with short belly lines (50 - 60 ft) with end of belly at rod tip". All of their reccomended lines are Delta, SA short head, and WC. The 14' 9/10 Dredger is even advertised as capable greased line rod with a mid-belly line.

I think these rods can do other duty than Skagit heads and I'm hoping to experiment with one this spring.

Hopefully Riveraddict will spot this thread and offer some input as he is the one who did a lot of the design and testing.

Gillie

·
Banned
161 Posts
The GLX Dredger 9/10 is a sweet rod and will handle the SA Short 8/9 with class and style.

The Grease Liner 14' 8/9 is a sweet all-around rod as well and should not be considered solely for floating lines.

I have yet to cast the Stinger 14' 9/10, but it is on my list; however, I think the Dredger and Grease Liner have a place in my home for some time to come.

jgs

·
Registered
131 Posts
GLX Stinger and Dredger 14' 9/10

Hi All
If you check the line chart you will see that when we did the line testing we used Airflo Delta's, S.A. Short Heads and Wind Cutters (for the Dedgers), There were no Manufacturer's Skagit lines out at the time of testing, and we also recognized the fact that a lot of you guy's will use multi tip lines etc. on these rods. Marlow did have some of his custom Skagit lines at the testing and it was a joy to watch him cast them, we even got a chance to get some lesson's on this style (you always wish for more time when this happens). The line chart is a start in the right direction, no other rod manufacturer has done this to date.
Thanks
Rick whorwood
G.Loomis Pro-staff

·
Registered
562 Posts
Rick,
I ask this question more to clarify the issue, because I think I already know the issue.

The Dredgers have gotten a lot of press for being designed for Skagit style casting. Am I safe in assuming that they also would function well as a softer spey rod for casting a short head with more traditional casting techniques ?

Although I'm interested in Skagit technique I'm really interested in a medium action rod for throwing WC size lines about 70-80 feet with sink tips.

Gillie

·
Registered
131 Posts
GLX Stinger and Dredger 14' 9/10

Hi Gillie
We now have a good number of rods at G.Loomis Canada, let's get together so you can try them. Send me an e-mail.
Rick Whorwood

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Dredgers

When we did the initial tests on these rods we cast a couple of commercial "short bellies" on them - Windcutter's and I believe the Airflo's. They worked great!

One thing to keep in mind is that the Spey industry is going through a transition and adjustment period right now because of the new line standards. This is going to result in some things being "off track" for a while. The new line ratings are lighter than the old ones. The Dredger rods are also lighter in action than the "current standard" of rods out there. An example is the rod that I am currently using and have already posted some observations about. This rod is 13' 4" and rated as a 7/8. I have found 555 to 560 grains to be the absolute primo weight when casting Skagit style (sustained anchor or waterloaded). As a comparison, I found 590 grains to be optimum on the Sage 7136 Greenie, Sage 6126, and Fly Logic 13' 7 weight. "Splash and go" type casting would take lines even lighter than the Skagit examples that I have used here, at least 60 grains so, maybe more.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Also...

Something to bear in mind - I tend to understate or take a conservative approach when commenting on matters such as rod capabilities. For instance, the 13' 4" 7/8 GLX Dredger I have presented as being capable of casting a bit over 80 feet. This range is as was determined with a 7' T-14 sinktip and a weighted marabou fly or string leech. Short, compact, fast sinking sinktips are the most difficult lines to cast. This circumstance becomes compounded with the addition of a weighted fly of any type. Add to this the fact that the distances I give are for REAL fishing conditions - wind, limited back cast room, deep wading, etc. Now, add these "facts" to my previously stated comments about rod actions. 80+ feet casts w/ short sinktip, weighted fly on a rod that "classes" LIGHTER than most current 7 weight rods?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts