Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bit the bullet and ordered this rod today as a summer rod here on the deschutes and N.Umpqua. For those of you who have cast this rod what line did you like with it. I think I'm leaning towards the 7/8/9 WC, tips version, because I like to sometimes use the intermediate and type 3 for a little extra depth. But the airflo lines are looking pretty good as well. What do you all think?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
SA midhead 8/9

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,185 Posts
The delta short in a 7/8 for a lighter load and the 8/9 for a heavier load.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
I don''t get it

Why are you, or anyone else for that matter, buying a 15' rod to cast short belly lines? Especially a super expensive Grease Liner? Or a Solstace? These rods were designed to pick up and cast loooong bely lines. Not that the Grease Liner or the Solstace are bad rods. They are both very good rods. As are many more 15 footers. But the shorter 12'-6" to 14' range rods such as the Dredger, MKS series or others in that length will easily handle the short/mid belly lines with a whole lot less effort than swinging a 15 footer all day long. But hey, it's your money.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Flyjunky,
Great choice! In Spey rods, long is good, for the reasons of: picking up sunken tips without roll casts, distance of rod tip above the water and related long casting, ability to hold line high above conflicting currents, fishing a fly in difficult seams, keeping the line farther away from one's body in difficult winds, and so much more. The ability of Spey rods to deliver mesmerizing performance is not due to two hands, but due to great length that requires two hands.

JDJones,
I strongly disagree with your thought that long rods are inappropriate for short belly lines. For example the shortest of lines, the Skagit Spey heads with tip, are correctly 3.0 to 3.5 times a rod's length, whatever that rod length is. Short rods give up many advantages for the very few benefits they provide.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,185 Posts
The 15ft 7/8 is actually an amazing skagit rod.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
2,185 Posts
personaly I liked the new xlt #8, a friend really likes the sa mid belly #8 and I have found this line nice also.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
I cast this rod at the Sandy Clave last May, with the old XLT 7/8. It was nice!. As nice as my CND 15'-2" Soltace. And as nice as Meiser's new 15' Highlander. (We had all three rods at the same time) I only have one problem with this rod. Price! :Eyecrazy: Too rich for my blood. :(

·
Banned
161 Posts
Skagit Line

What is the configuration of the line you are using for skagit casting on this rod?

Thanks, jgs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts