Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone use gloves while two-handing it during cold wintery/windy! cond.?and what brand/style=?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Chota makes a pair of foldover mitts that tuck in on the back so the line dosen't get caught on the folded over mitt. windblock fleece as well.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I have the patagonia windzone fingerless gloves. I like them if I am fishing a longer belly line where no stripping is required. Still have not found the magic combo that would make stripping comfortable.

So when it gets cold I fish a combo that allows for fishing a fixed length of line with no stripping.

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,480 Posts
I am fairly impervious to cold with the glaring exception of my hands. For this reason, I have a collection of gloves for winter/spring fishing. For most days, either fingerless wool or fleece work fine. The windstopper fleece models are nice but it is hard to beat wool. When the wind is howling and/or it is fridgid cold, I wear full fingered fleece. It takes a little getting used to when shooting line but it is very doable. One advantage to longer bellied lines is you don't have to strip wet line back to your gloves thereby keeping them dry (and warm).

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Simms makes a fingerless glove with fleese/windstopper material - quite light weight (not bulky) so quite easy to use even when manipulating line and keeps you warm even when wet - great product!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gloves

Hi Guy's
Try Bow Hunters gloves, the pair I have are made by Redhead. Carry a small towel and tailing glove, keep your hands dry.
Rick Whorwood
G.Loomis pro-staff

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Fingerless fleece

Hammer-
I wear fingerless fleece gloves all winter long which make it possible to fish and keep warm. The brand that I've had great luck with is made by Glacier Glove and they're cheap compared to the Simms and Patagonia. They call them the Kenai fleece glove. I'd recommend all fleece as opposed to the neoprene/fleece combo. I'd also recommend ordering them at least one size smaller than you think because even though the fingers are cut-off, they tend to get in the way as you get into the larger sizes. For example, I'm 6'2" and have fairly large hands yet I still find the medium size to be the right one for me. If you go to their website it's style # 627bk.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
finally escaped

yesterday ,went as far as i could,Graves Creek [email protected] the rogue canyon,snow is sticking around this time,,,fished my way back,of course i had a `slight' :tsk_tsk: hookup on my home field :rolleyes: ,i almost never wear gloves even when rowing as an old thumb injury suddenly comes back to haunt me,when the wind started up no matter where i was fishing,it made the fingertips ache to the bone,even when suiting up initially,,of course several have old injuries,wich i got to relive :Eyecrazy:weird feeling an injury from the 70's like it was fresh,,, :eek: ,,, maybe i'm getting old,soft!?,or dehidrated :hihi: ,,,nah! :saevilw: thanks guys!,i'll do some searching!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hammer

I have three pair of winter gloves, and the one I use more than any other is a pair I bought ten or twelve years ago in a little shop in Last Chance Idaho. They are the old style patagonia fingerless...the new patagonia glove is still a very good option, however the old one has a different cuff and the palm material is thinner than the newer version. When it's cold out, they are on ALL day...wet or dry...they still retain heat.

Tom

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gloves

Cotton gloves with leather palms, part of my antiflash gear left over from my navy days. The palms are thin and allow you to pick up a dime while wearing them. Fish all day in temps down into the teens and keep the hands warm. They can be found at some surplus stores.

Ian

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Simms gloves described by Rick J below are excellent when cold.

Rick J said:
Simms makes a fingerless glove with fleese/windstopper material - quite light weight (not bulky) so quite easy to use even when manipulating line and keeps you warm even when wet - great product!!
I have warm hands and feet, and often just the sun blocker gloves are adequate.

On very cold and windy days and when I fish from a boat, the Simms gloves with the windstopper lining are great. :saevilw:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts