Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some great info from my friend Neil Houlding regarding line matches for the new Loomis two-handers. Now you'll know exactly which line works with your new Loomis!

Thanks Neil!

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi there! I have to comment on the line chart for the Stinger series (heads). As also can be read from the table, the table is inconsistent and not good!

There is a huge problem that weights are not standardised, as is seen clearly here. Generally, some line brands tend to vary in weight, others are either too light or too heavy!! My experience is that Hardy generally are too light, while Guideline (which do not want to provide weights at all as is seen in table!) are often a bit too heavy.

Being a Loomis user for many years (standard GLX double handers) and with experience from test casting the 15 ft Stinger GLX and the 12'6'' 8/9 GLX Stinger, I would recommend the following:

- a Loomis 8/9 doublehander generally handles heads in the 28 - 35 grams range
- a Loomis 9/10 doublehander generally handles heads 32 - 38 grams
- a Loomis 10/11 handles heads 38 - 45 grams

As long as manufacturers (except RIO - credits to you!!!) do not give weights and also can have inconsistent weights - bring your exact electronic weight measurer to the shop and do your own measurements!!!

A last comment on the 12'6'' 8/9 Stinger GLX compared to my old beloved 13' GLX classic: The first rod wants a lighter line (around 30 grams) while the 13' has a broader reportoir and easily takes soemwhat heavier lines.

Greetings from Norway!

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
???

Would you have those in a PDF file for us Mac users? Comes out looking like Sandskrit :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rio SSH 9/10 and 10/11 have the wrong gram weights.

Norwegian, it would seem that a 26,6g & 29g heads are medium, 21,6g is medium light and 31g is medium heavy on 8/9 Stinger GLX, so there's no contradiction to the line weights that you said. The heavier do seem to be best fitted to a bit lighter line weights than you suggest.

But, in my opinion the optimum head weight also varies with casting style, line length and caster's experience. So there is no perfect pair to suit everyone.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I am a mac guy as well but paid the $30 for open office for osX.

<free plug>

http://openosx.com/office/

Works great and opend excel files just fine. Much cheaper than what microsoft is charging for thier office suite.

We can work on getting these switched to pdfs though.

-sean

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Should have said VINTAGE Mac

Funny how these things become obsolete so fast. About 5 years back I purchased a graphite ibook 366 and it was the hottest thing on the market. Now it's hard to keep up with whats going on and just be able to interact online with it running the OS 9.04 and 256 meg RAM it came with. I'm going to have to buy and install a new memory card to bring up to 512 and install OSX 10.2 that I just bought. Hopefully this will get me a couple more years worth of life before having to buy a new computer.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
5+ years on one machine is great though. One of the reasons I stick with macs. The machines just seem to not need upgraded as often as windoze pcs. Not that they have integrated unix into OS X geek developers like myself are in heaven!

Macs Rule!

-sean

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Who

would want to run windows server?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Dana--2 more data items for Ian Gordon Partridge lines

Measured and weighed two Ian Gorden Partridge lines purchased Nov 6, 04 at GGACC charity auction.

Exact name on packages:
Partridge of Reddich
Ian Gorden Spey Flyline

Name on sticky label:
Ian Gorden Spey
WF 9/10 F SHORT HEAD [or WF 10/11 F SHORT HEAD]
Redditch England
-------
WF 9/10 F SHORT HEAD
Head length: 69.5 feet [measured from tip to color change, which coincides with color change]
Head weight: 740 grains

WF 10/11F SHORT HEAD
Head length: 71.5 feet
Head weight: 775 grains

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I have to say that on my mind that Neil´s chart looks good.

There is no line weights - thats good, beacuse as we have seen now everyone wants to cast different weight heads even we use same rods.

This is why the Neils chart looks good, it gives people clue what type of line You should get if You like to use heavy or light line and he does´t say this is the line you should use.

Norwegian You said: "There is a huge problem that weights are not standardised, as is seen clearly here. Generally, some line brands tend to vary in weight, others are either too light or too heavy!! My experience is that Hardy generally are too light, while Guideline (which do not want to provide weights at all as is seen in table!) are often a bit too heavy. "

Guideline heads -too heavy? It all depends how You use them.
We like to customise our lines here in Scandinavia ( as You know :) ) and this is the only way you can do it. I would never byu shooting head that would be so called ready to use. Why? Cause there is so many differet situations where You have to use maybe longer or shorter haed, situations vary.

And as You said Yourself 13´ GLX is working well whit over 30g head - holy s...t :Eyecrazy: man! I have never used that heavy line on 8/9 rod, that is one soft rod and would actually "collapse" when using the underhand. Collapsing I mean that the rod would cast only on midpart of the blank when bending back when loaded down.
I have used in 8/9 rods always 26-27 gram heads, no matter what rod - if its real 8/9´ :smokin:
The rods working whit 32-34 gram heads are called 9/10 rods. Normally.

here is my list of rod weights and line weights ( remember this is only my way )

8-9 rods generally 12´6 26-28 grams ( Guideline 9/10 line cut down to 10,8m )
9-10 rods 33 - 35 grams ( Guideline head cut from 10/11 to 11,0m )
10-11 rods 39-42 grams ( Guideline head cut from 11/12 to 11,2m )
Thse are line lenght when using shooting heads in "normal condition" and flaoting to int/sink2 type heads.

You can still use on 15´ 10/11 rod Guideline head that is 10/11 but it has to be 12,5 meters long ( the weight is still 39-42 grams )

And... that this would not be too easy, the sinking lines is another story :eek:

TK

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Hi Toni.
Thanks for the comments and info.
I am sure this info will help the board members to better understand the Euro style of casting with heads.
I recall when we were together in Norway this past year when I took a 10/11 head new out of the box thinking it was a 9/10 to use on my 14' 9/10 GLX.It was heavy.
I asked you to cast it to see what was wrong.
You told me to cut off 16" and try it again.Perfect balance :)
This knowledge can only come from experience knowing what to do with the various heads you guys use.
Norwegian.
As stated.The data charts were formed to give guys,new or experienced some idea's what to use.
A lot of guys on this side of the pond don't have the experience you guys have in Europe.
If you would like to post a chart I'm sure the members would like to see it.
What works for one guys doesn't always work for the next guy.
Speyladdie :smokin:

·
Registered
344 Posts
line info for deveron 8/9 14'

I have had the Deveron 14’ 8/9 for a few weeks now. I have cast it with six different lines but have not had the time to really fish it. I think a rod often fishes better or worse than they cast so I will hold off on a final judgment until Oregon gets some rain!

I don’t think that the line suggestions that Loomis has made for this rod are very good, but I know that the caliber of the people who made the suggestions is very high, so maybe it’s just me.

Here is what I think about the lines I have cast:

Too Heavy
Delta Long 10/11 67’ 770 grain – loomis says, medium load
Delta 10/11 56.5’ 690 grain – loomis says, medium load

Too Light
Mid spey 8/9 65’ 640 grain – loomis also says too light, but a fly shop owner who has fished the rod suggested it was the best line.
SA Mastery Spey 8/9 64’ 650 grain – loomis says medium light load

OK Lines
Delta Traditional 9/10 85.5’ 800 grain – loomis leaves these lines off their chart
Midspey 9/10 65’ 725 grain – loomis says medium light load

I cant wait to get out and fish it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
GLoomis GLX Stinger 9/10 12´6"

Dear Sirs:

I am trying to buy the adequate line for my new GLX Spey, it is a 12´6" long 9/10 weight. I am new in the Spey casting business, and I hope someone of you could help out. I have checked the recommended lines, and I am going with RIO´s SSH.

When I check the GLoomis Line Data Chart, I see an H in some spots, and also some MH, and L´s. What do these letters mean?

I have checked Rio´s website, and it seems like I am going to have to cut the line to match the Rod, Do these letters in the line chart have anything to do with the amount of line cut?.

Rio recommends I cut 9.5´for overhead casts, I just want to make sure I am choosing the right gear for my rod, and that when I cut the line like Rio Says, Gloomis will say the same (perhaps it is that code within the mentioned letters...)

Thanks in Advance to any advice any of you experienced Spey casters might share.

Sincerely

Jose Benavente
Mexico

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
L (Light rod load)- A very light load. Not recommended for beginning casters.

ML (Medium Light rod load)- A lighter load is generally best for more advanced spey casters looking to cast longer distances.

M (Medium rod load)- A medium load achieves a comfortable, moderate load at medium to medium-long casting distances. An excellent choice for intermediate to advanced casters.

MH (Medium Heavy rod load)- A heavier load ideally suited for fishing at shorter distances. This is a good choice for novice casters, and can also become the basis for a customized skagit style head.

H (Heavy rod load)- A heavy rod load is generally not advisable unless customizing a line for skagit style fishing.

Hope this helps some
Rambo

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Jb

A lot depends on how you are going to use the rod. Will it be primarily overhead? That is prett easy to pick up without outside help. If you want to spey cast, then you will benefit greatly by getting lessons, and a heavier line is needed to adequately load the rod.

How do you see ourself using the rod?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank You All

I will be using the rod, mostly to cast in the surf, so I will be stripping in line, which of course I will have to overhead cast to throw in the surf.

Thank You Again for any other advice.

Sincerely

Jose

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Jose...

Rio recommends I cut 9.5´for overhead casts, I just want to make sure I am choosing the right gear for my rod, and that when I cut the line like Rio Says, Gloomis will say the same (perhaps it is that code within the mentioned letters...)
I would not cut the line where Rio says, at least to start with. I would start long and test cast that line until you have the sweet spot then make your final cut and add your loop. This is not take take anything away from Rio as I have a great deal of faith in the info they provide. I think the chart they furnish is to be used as guide or a starting point to help you "dial in".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts