Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
nine foot 6 wt rods.

Most of the people who participate in this spey clave are fishing rods heavier and longer rods than you are enquiring about. Someone may have the rods you are interested in for trout, and you may get some replies. However a better place to get opinions on these rods would be to go to the newsgroups provided by your ISP and look for the following:
rec.outdoors.fishing
rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
There are lots of discussions of 9' rods in these groups

Another place to look is:
http://www.outdoorreview.com/jump^page^flycrx.aspx

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Guslm -

You may also not be aware that the Speypages are part of a full-topic forum covering all kinds of topics:

http://flyfishingforum.com/flytalk

You'll see that all of the Speypages forums are included there as well.

Welcome to the community!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Or, some one on this page can help out.
I like the GLX #6 alot. It is a pretty old design, but it still feels as light and as crisp as any rod. It would be a terrific rod for Patagonia. My one concern is the durability of the GLX. They have a very delicate tip, and a fragile high modulous lay up. Some people break 'em, some don't, but if I were buying a new rod, with the hopes of a big far away trip, I would bring a spare, or get a different rod.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Patagonia

I have not been there but I have heard a lot of stories about the wind. Assuming that there is some truth to some of these stories, and assuming that you are going after big browns, I would want at least an 8 wt as my primary rod. Also, I have been to enough foreign fishing spots to know that you have to take everything with you, including a spare rod. If fishing is your primary reason to go, take two or three rods, two reels, and everything else that you might need. Do not count on being able to get anything, including flies, once you are there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
glx in Patagonia

fished this same rod from sun-up to sundown in Patagonia. I used it as a streamer rod with a teeny 130. it did the job real well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts