Spey Pages banner

Gloomis dredger roaring river 8/9.

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  aviomech 
#1 ·
I've had this rod for just about a year now. In that time I have lost 80% of my steelhead. I'm not doing anything different playing these fish but I still manage to lose them, which makes me look at the tools. Shortly after purchasing this rod I had a local guide tell me he had used the same rod and found it was too soft, which can make slack while playing a fish. I thought nothing of it, until now. Maybe he's right?or it's just not the rod for me? If any one has hands on experience with this rod, I would appreciate some input.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I agree with SSpey. A softer rod is harder to set the hook, but should be alot easier to keep tension on the fish. So you may not be getting a good hook-set.

Might want to tighten your drag on your reel. This should help with setting the hook. Also it will keep a bit more tension on the fish.
Thanks. The more I read the more I'm learning. Prior I was just "swinging for the fences" when my line tighted up.
I just read the poll about holding a loop and let the fish take some line before setting the hook, maybe that's why?? I tried holding a loop for the last 2 days on the Thompson, but got no tugs

Discussion starter · #7 ·
What kind of reel are you fishing? I find that I hook more fish with no loop at all just tight to my reel but I fish Reels with no drags. When I get a grab most of the time fish has line already spinning of the reel and I turn my hips & torso towards the downstream bank once Im tight then ill apply pressure. I fish 7/8 Dredger and love this rod for Skagit. In the heat of the moment I still blow it sometimes and lift but hey thats how we learn right!
Nothing special. Just a Lamson guru 4.0. Last year when I first started chuckin a two-hander I fished my line tight to the reel with finger and thumb holding line... Feel line go tight and lift right away. I've read about a lot of people allowing the fish to take some line and then set the hook I feel not lifting the rod right away hard to kick as I do it with my single hander so much .....Trial and error I guess

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Lifting was my problem too when I first started with the two hander, soo hard to resist not setting, Usually there's enough tension on a tight line when they grab the hook themselves soon as they turn to head back to their lie which is why the few second wait is crucial. Tight lines
Thanks again for all the help. Can't wait to try it on my next pull:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.