Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plant Water Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

Syd Glasso Brown Heron tied in hand
(basically an Orange Heron body but with a bronze mallard wing)

This completes my foray into steelhead wetflies for the meantime.
Water Plant Botany Organism Terrestrial plant

(clockwise from the top) Sol Duc Spey, Gold Heron, Brown Heron, Orange Heron

It's always a bit fun researching Glasso's flies online. He tied variants of his patterns, substituted materials from time to time, and also tied variants at the request of friends.

I enjoyed reading Russ's (@flytyer) take on Glasso's flies here on Speypages (such a wealth of info - worth a tyer's time to search for @flytyer's posts).

Also derived inspiration from @flytie09 and @dahlquistsean on the Gold Heron and the Sol Duc Spey respectively.

Cheers and Blessings,
Adrian

· Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another gem Adrian..... and we certainly enjoyed your "foray"!

Russ's posts were so incredibly helpful....
I think reading somewhere that Glasso often used hooded merganser flank feathers in place of the Bronze Mallard in some of his variations of the Gold Heron and Brown Heron flies...and again at the collar....
I did read that, too @The Duck I would love to use Merganser next time (I believe I have some Merg feathers). Stupid fowl...theyre always low-holing me and tearing up the pools where steelhead hold. I wonder if steelhead would smack (out of hate) or evade (out of fear) a Merganser fly in the water? They probably detest those gangfishers as much as I do. :D

· Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Such a great looking set of flies. Pipe cleaner spey seems to be missing tho?
🤫😜
These 4 classic Glasso's are gonna be gifted to 4 fellow anglers as we ply some emerald waters next month...the 5th fly will be a special gift to the friend that can do it all: he builds beautiful bamboo rods, hand builds stellar click-pawl reels, and even ties flies just as well as any of us. He gets the "Gob'o'worms Spey" tied in hand low-water style according to the recipe🤡
Flower Plant Petal Terrestrial plant Finger

Hand Petal Finger Nail Plant

Petal Finger Plant Flower Terrestrial plant

· Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You wouldn't cast that on a bamboo rod, would you? Seems more appropriate for that glass Shakespeare Wonder Rod I showed you. I'm sure your friend will be thrilled.
No, you're correct, Rich. I wouldnt tie it on my tippet but maybe he might:p.

Someday, when the future archeaologists dig through the layers of strata deposited by a seismic event, they will find remnants of our angling tackle. Jock Scotts or Freight Trains having decomposed will not be unearthed...no, sir. They will discover Squidros, beads, and the Gob'o'worms Spey and from that they will deduce that we had superior intelligence.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts