Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few years ago, SLSS graciously invited me on a winter OP trip with Mark Shamburg.

Mark had excitedly scouted out some dryline pools for me and told me to bring something dark. Ever since, I carry Mark's advice with me each winter season.

And in the words of Passenger 57, "Always bet on black".
Wood Arthropod Insect Grey Line

Hand Wood Finger Creative arts Arthropod

I opted for the tented wings (there has been some tying "controversy" about Glasso hackletip wings: Syd tented his wings vs Syd did not tent his wings).

Eyelash Wood Feather Eyewear Tints and shades

I tweaked the proportions of the body - opting for 2/3 tinsel and less seal fur.

Allowing a quicker sink rate.

Winter cometh,
Adrian

Attachments

·
18 foot spey rod DV8
830 Posts
A few years ago, SLSS graciously invited me on a winter OP trip with Mark Shamburg.

Mark had excitedly scouted out some dryline pools for me and told me to bring something dark. Ever since, then I carry Mark's advice with me each winter season.

And in the words of Passenger 57, "Always bet on black".
View attachment 389235

View attachment 389236
I opted for the tented wings (there has been some tying "controversy" about Glasso hackletip wings: Syd tented his wings vs Syd did not tent his wings).

View attachment 389240
I tweaked the proportions of the body - opting for 2/3 tinsel and less seal fur.

Allowing a quicker sink rate.

Winter cometh,
Adrian
Congrats.....a well dressed and proportioned pattern that creates a definitive silhouette against the surface. These dark patterns get attention in low light conditions, even in murky water, and are my favourite option for the twilight bite.
Regards from the Restigouche.....Jim

·
Registered
832 Posts
i love that pattern and always keep one or more in my box . fish catcher .
what is a " harrington raven " ? dare i ask :) richard ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Beautiful version here Adrian.
What is your hook there? Is the rib gold or am I seeing the table top color reflected in it?
One of my favorites to demo tie at shows and classes for students a decade ago,
nobody else seemed to be tying Glasso style speys at the shows here in Michigan back then...
I am completely with you on the tented wing set as it seems to swim the fly better.
A pattern one should come back to every few years...it also fishes great with a under-layer of deep green/highlander green tips in the wing, esp in early winter.

Great work and thank you for putting it up here.
All the best in winter water...

Tom

·
Registered
531 Posts
I forgot to ask- what is your preferred winter dryline?
A WF short belly/ DT of some length/ floating shooting head?? Winter rod?
I seem to think we usually see a bamboo rod of some unknown length in your great photos....

Thanks for your patience with my questions.

Tom

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Jim Elie, thank you, kind sir.

Cameron, I dig that Raven. When I visited the Meiser shop I was hoping too see it there but I guess Bob has it at his residence.

Jim Lucey, Rick's woodcut raven - a print copy of it is seen in the background of the first image.

Flytie Mike, I thought I was full...now you're making me hungry.

Dean, thanks brah! When are you gonna visit for steelhead? Bring layers and musubi

Dave, I can't even say "repertoire". Thanks!

Keith, thanks but this one ain't yours;) :p I got another pattern for you and Bridge no.2 though.

GR8 Lakes Mike, built to fish, brother. Pizzaz and plunking!:D

Tom, I read up a bit on what Shewey wrote about Glasso...interestingly, Syd had a Green Heron that Dave McNeese owned at one time. I can see a green hackle tip between the black just oozing sinister vibes. This Black Heron is on a Code N Low Water. The ribbing is silver oval that absorbed that gold reflection from a lamp (gold ribbing would definitely be classy over the body though)

As far as lines, I have an 8 weight JMR cane that can throw a 15 ft leader with a flouro tippet armed with a Rio Steelhead Scandi that SLSS gave me. The combination generates enough line speed to turn over heavy irons pretty well.

Jake, obscure pop culture references are lost on my kids....glad you got it :D

Steve, I don't tie steelhead wetfly patterns too often but when I do, it usually is a Glasso. His patterns have classic lines and lend themselves very well to the winter dryline approach.

Nate, I hope the recipient of the fly connects with that right kind of fish on it...and if not the fish, at least connects with the romance of steelhead rivers and the traditions that are intertwined with our passion.

Thanks for the stoke, gentlemen.

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts