Spey Pages banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
GL SPEY "FISHING"

I think the big thing here in the GL is that people want to simply get on the river and cast adequately enough to fish. That being said most people get the standard setup pushed onto them which seems to be a W/C or a W/C style line and a 13-14' 8/9 weight rod. For those who have been doing this a little while here in the GL area tend to lean to one of two camps. I use this term lightly but one is "skagit" style casting and the other is more traditional spey casting with mid belly type lines. I cant speak for everyone in the GL area as I have only fished in WI, MI and Canada but it seems that the shorter belly skagit type lines seem to be picking up a lot of momentum. I for one have gone through a number of rod and line combinations over the past 5-6 years trying to find the one that best suits the rivers I fish and the way I prefer to present flies to these fish. That being said I have firmly gone the route of skagit casting. Granted in the colder months a lot of people tend to complain about shooting line and ice on the guides etc. But I have tried mid belly lines and I simply dont enjoy it and feel the I can not present the fly in a manner that I think will give me the best chance to catch fish. The other issue that I see is that there are not a lot of knowledgeable people around to teach the finer points of skagit casting vs traditional spey casting vs underhand or scando style casting. So a lot of us are trying to learn from books, videos and or web pages such as this in order to figure things out for ourselves. This is my .02 on what I have seen over the last 5 or 6 years in regards to fishing with two handers in the GL areas.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.