Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
Deep thoughts by rambo

I agree with Chrome fever that we unfortunetly have very very few jedi's at our disposal. neil is a few hours away and he is about the closest thing we have that is say certifiable. any how I Too have embraced the Skagit lifestyle.

I am horribly dissapointed by the amout of visual material or lack there of on the subject. I am impatiently waiting for the new Rio vid that has been rumered to be coming this winter.

I like the Skagit system because it is a easy means of delivering big heavy flys and sinktips. I personally feel that Most of our fish in the larger michigan water have been so bombarded with lead raining down from above that idea of them coming to the surface for a fly is slim. so I am sinktip fishing 100% of the time. I also fish out of a boat 99% of the time so it reduces the amount of running line I have in the water thus reducing the freezing guide syndrome greatly. think about it I am standing 1 to 2 feet higher (which makes my sudo skagit cast a bit more difficult) and I have all of my shooting line in the boat. it may also have to do some thing with the rec guides on the loomis rods that they collect less water or some thing. but I had fewer problems than I expected last winter.

flys.

my favorite subject of conversation.

So The usual reaction when a person looks at my bly box is.... what in the world are you going to catch with that thing. some people who Get what my crazy mind is thingking or already have the same sickness that I have fuel my passion for new Big Flys that seduce Fish.

In my previous fly fishing life I fished size 14 to size 10 nymphs and eggs with CHUCK and DUCK I came to the conclusion that alot of the "soft" bites I was hooking fish on were unintenional lining of fish and this really bothered me.... so 4 or so years ago i started fishing with a guide friend of mine and he showed me some new flies that were "top secret" that a fellow guide had been working on and doing very well with on teh swing. that fly was a Feenstra sculpin tied that was about 4 in long. I was skeptical at first but the moment I got slamed by a freight train Hen that fall and I too was hooked so to say. I am now a firm believer in fishing to Agressive opertunistic fish who are looking for a big meal or dont want some other mid size predator in its domain will move to Hit a fly and hit it hard. I get such a big rush from hooking the fish that sometimes it is better than landing it. so my mantra is make it big and make it move. Ill post some flys later.
Flys must have Movement. Big wool, artic fox and opossim heads create eddies behind it and materials like maraboo and rabbit just dance and come to life behind it. most flies are articulated in some way. right now I am a firm addict of Jameys braided mono bodies. they give me a way to extend the fly that is flexiable and I can still glue materials to them and not worry about fouling the fly on itself as some 2 hook articulated flys will do.
well that is it for now I am sure I will add more later and I will gladly take the name Rambo.... Wet Sock Flinger.
Rambo

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
nickel and lifestyles

Peter they are the nickel titanium recoil guides by REC. so that may be the trick but I know I did not have to use my ice off paste all year. as to trying the Scando heads well I have pondered if I wanted to do that or not and I have come to the conclusion that it is very cool from watching tony K and the syrstad twins throw those tight loops. But I have decided to stick with one style or system and learn it well. that is my story and I am sticking to it

Jamey that is a negitive on the plaid hat, dreadlocks and herbs. all that is required is that you like single malt beverages from spey or orkney and enjoy a fine cigar from time to time. oh yeah and like to throw big flies to deep locations.

on another note this afternoon I saw the Rio 2006 catalog today at the dealer and it is gonna kill me to wait till jan for the new rio modern spey video. you guys are killing me. the list of people and the cast are incredible. 2 dvds ouch I am am sure it will be worth its weight in gold.
to any sponsors out there ill pay double for a advance copy:hihi:
and what in the world is the Jelly roll.

Rambo

·
swing'n Lemmings
206 Posts
mjyp said:
as for fishing, call the style what you want, but my friends and myself use short heavy lines with goodly lengths of sinking stuff with a BFU attached.

it could be a bastardized WC, a boxed skagit, scando lineor a homemade slice and dice line. the needed result is the same. get down deep as quick as possible and keep your bfu in the fishes face.
AMEN TO THAT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.