Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Encore presentation

I have remained qiute recently but I'm in a mood tonight and am going to climb up on my soapbox this evening. I know that while standing there I will be an easy target.

There is spey methodology developing on the Great Lakes.......to be more precise it is a culture rather than a methodology. It is a culture of Misinformation !! .

Unfortunately some local anglers have decided to flounder their way through learning and pronounce themselves experts. My frustration arises not from the fact that these anglers have opinions but rather that they are presented as fact. Through the spey pages and a well needed increase in clave activity the GL's now have access to experts and pioneers within the casting community. However, this area seems to spend more time disagreeing with them and explaining why they are wrong rather than taking advantage of the opportunities to learn from them.

I want to make it clear that I am not referring exclusively to activity on this and other forums. I have been at claves in the GL's region where I have been watching a presentation, only to hear others on the bank pointing out that what the presenter is doing is wrong or he doesn't know what he is talking about. I have had stories of these sorts of behaviors shared with me also. What is most frustrating is that when you watch these individuals take to the water their casting is far from noteworthy and much worse than you would expect from someone who speaks so confidently about their expertise.

Healthy questioning is good. It forces the instructors and pros to remain sharp and keeps them from embelishing the truth. But I think when we look at "debates", some credence has to given to those that have established themselve's. There are reasons why some can pass the THCI and others can't. There are reasons why some are asked to design a line of rods and others aren't. They bring something above the norm that others do not. Often the techniques being criticized or questioned have never been seen by the individuals questioning them.

I was fortunate to attend to the Sandy River Clave earlier this year (and plan on returning next year). I was shocked by the combination of facts that their average attendee was a much better caster than the GL caster (that was not too much of a surprise as it is a more prevelant and practiced form there), and the fact that they were interested and greatful for the knowledge being shared with them. Instead of "X is really just a version of Y", it was "what about X makes it different than Y, and what do I need to do differnt to accomplish X" . When the answer was given there was an inherent degree of trust / faith that the answer had credibility, and that if it didn't make sense it had more to do with the students inability to grasp the concept than the fact that the teacher was wrong.

I work in health care and I teach at two different colleges. In my career I have always been struck by this idea that everyone is entitled to their opinion. Your not !!!!The fact that you do not have a full understanding of a concept does not entitle you to dismiss it and reclassify it. The correct response is to go back and continue to work on it until you see the distinction, not just dismiss it. The truth lies in the details.

Geography does contribute to the development of the local spey culture / methodolgy. High concentrations of fish in short, narrow streams has made it easy to catch fish despite poor casting technique. That has resulted in the attitude that I must be a good caster because I'm catching fish.

I know that I am going to be lambasted for this, but I have been frustrated by the lack of willingness to learn and the self righteous expertise that has flowed from posts these days. If you know as much as you say you do go pass your THCI and establish yourself as an expert.

I want to make it clear that I am not talking about the angler who occasionally posts an objection or points out that others may have been doing a similair technique despite the fact that somebody else popularized it. I am talking about the individuals that are new to speycasting and come upon confidently presented inaccurate information that will lead them astray.

I don't want to be all negative. The recent increase in claves has been a temendous bonus to the area. Many shops like Oak Orchard Fly Shop, Tightlines, Colemans and Buffalo Outfitters are contributing greatly to the the local development of spey techniques. We are fortunate to have at least 3 (that I know of) THCI in the region, and we are fortunate to have the speypages up and running. Let's just utilize them instead of arguing with them all the time. Those who I speak of behave like this consistently and know who they are.

I now stand on my soap box with all the self righteous indignation that I can muster, let the tossing of rotten tomatoes begin

·
Registered
577 Posts
David,
I think you are suffering from dejavu :hihi: . Seriously, I did, I deleted it because I didn't want the controversy, and then tonight I restored it. Hence the title of "encore presentation". I received a few messages via PM that the post was well received and that they didn't know why I erased it. So it's back :devil: .

Gillie

1 - 2 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.