Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
MJC said:
The skagit lines should be perfect for throwing that GL's "killer fly",
the Jamey McLeod "Wet Sock Special" :lildevl:
Rambo is our local Skagit head here in MI. After rummaging through his boxes yesterday, I think the fly should be the "Rambo wet sock special". Part of me thinks "If he hits a fish on this thing, I will be amazed", the other part of me looks at that fly and thinks "A steelhead would be stupid to turn that up".

We need some pics of that olive and orange monster bud. (if your willing)

I have leaned away from the skagit set up because of the icing problemand big words like "continouswaterloadedsustainedanchorcast". MS 10/11 body with a 300grain big boy on the end if I need to get super deep, if not I plan to stick with the stock tips selection. A mix of the MS and Scando heads (Guideline) in the fall and spring, as the short fast stroke suits me better, and the Mid Spey should cover most everything and only need to shoot line on occasion.

We did a scouting run yesterday to get a good idea on a bunch of runs when the water is low. The main thing that stuck out to me was that in "ALL" of my good walk in spots, I am typically casting 20-30ft further than I need to be. Part of it is undoubtedly due to last year being the first season I was really confident enough in my casting to spend most days with a two hander, and the seduction of seeing all that line going zinging through the guides had me casting as far as I could. I quiver at the thought of all of the fish I probably spooked last season.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Rambo said:
Any how I Too have embraced the Skagit lifestyle.

It may also have to do some thing with the rec guides on the loomis rods that they collect less water or some thing. but I had fewer problems than I expected last winter.

Rambo
Case in point: Remember the first day we fished together? Your Loomis was ice free, my Sc....... was like a snow cone, same line on both rigs.

This "Skagit lifestyle" you speak of? Does it involve brightly colored knit hats, dreadlocks, and ceremonial herbs used in elaborate worship rituals? :smokin:

Peter,
Thats the thing about the Mo, especially on weekends like that one when those fish get hammered, the ultra deep presentation is needed more than not. In the fall during the week its not unheard of to takle fish on floaters and intermediate tips.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.