Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GL Producers

Over the past two weeks I have had what has been probably the best fishing of my steelhead career since I threw my bobbers away. Thought I would share the best flies in my box over that time. The olive fly has by far been the best, the smolt pattern has been nearly a tie with the classic olive wooly bugger.

Attachments

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, just sliding the braided mono onto a regular hook and clipping at the bend. Keeping is simple. There is an orange grizzly hackle palmered over olive dubbing thats kind of hard to see under the marabou.

The smolt is a pretty simple pattern. But I can see it through about the first 1/3 of the swing against the black background of the pools I have been fishing. Its pretty cool to a see quick flash, the fly disappear, and my reel shift into reverse.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Your braided mono approach is really cool. Very innovative and I like it! Thanks for sharing your "go-to" patterns.
Chris

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 more

Coat the mono with a thin coat of aquaseal and you can palmer emu, rabbit, polar chenille, or anything over it, and it stays pretty flexable. I haven't fished the fly in the pic below, but I have tied some like the one above with the emu over the mono, and some with that new hackle flash from Orvis, looks good and buggy, and catches fish.

Attachments

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The Cortland stuff is like $10.00 for 100ft. I have been working on a spool for a few months now, and given probably 20ft to friends. Once you buy it that way, you realize how much money thay are making on the loops and will never buy them again. The fly looks good, I find a bit of orange in with the olive is just plain deadly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks Jamey

Thank you Jamey for the photos and refresher on how you tie those Mega flys of yours.Watching You and Rambo whip those flys out with such ease opened my eyes to how much I DON'T know about tying........

Thanks for sharing a visual reference.

Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts