Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
fly on little wing
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Carl

I'll go down to 6# (3x) maxima mean green on the swing, but will try to stick with 8# (2x). My river gets pretty clear in the winter. I'll go down to 5x with indy.

Gary

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here is a question re flouro. Is the stuff not virtually invisible in the water? If so why go so light, ie 6lb?

I don't use the stuff where I fish - 15lb Maxima works fine. Personally I don't believe the fish care all that much. It is possible that if I was fishing really clear water for spooky fish then maybe I'd feel better with lighter tippet. However, if it is all the same (that is invisible) why not use a heavier tippet?

There are a number of reasons to use lighter leaders; like taking advantage of the slimmer diameter to achieve more depth, or more movement with a light fly (which can also be achieved with a loop knot on a heavier leader) or simply maching the tippet strength to the size of the fish being sought or the size of the fly being used. I am just not sure that steelhead are that leader shy.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm fishing big water that's been well-filtered by zebra mussels. I've been fishing 0x Orvis Mirage, but am curious if anyone is going lighter. My flies are generally size 4 or larger. Any comments on how light you can go on the swing?

Carl

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
Gotta love the zebra mussels

Carl-
I typically use the Mirage in a 1X which is 14.5lb. Ocasionally I go to the 2X which is still 12.5lb. The new generation fluorocarbon still blows me away. The strength to diameter ratio is unreal! :Eyecrazy:

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
All new generation the best fluorocarbon tippets/leaders are manufactured by
Seaguar, the company which invented fluorocarbon polymer.
Either it is Seaguar, Rio, Umpqua, Orvis, all tippets have the same diameter/strength despite small differences on the labels ( marketing).

·
Registered
869 Posts
why does rio say "made in usa" and mirage say "made in japan" if they are the same material made by the same company? anyway, the lightest i go swinging is 2x rio fluoroflex, which is marked 8lb. this is very scary though in water that is more than 40 degrees. only for extreme conditions. this fall we saw some of the clearest water ever and i stuck with 1x and had some amazing days, even with small flies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts