Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gimping The Dean--OR--The Depth of Addiction!

On June 11 I broke my ankle walking out of the St. Jean River in the Gaspe area, and sincerely asked board members for suggestions. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions, in particular Grandpa Spey for suggesting I contact a retired orthopaedic surgeon friend who lives nearby. Dr. Bill Mink was very helpful with advice and the loan of his size 14 left boot.

Here is the resulting solution.

Step 1 is getting there. The supporting boot is pretty standard, used once the cast is removed, which in my case was a few days before departing for the Dean.

The blue bump at the top is for pumping air into inflatable chambers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A Wading Brace

At Dr. Mink's suggestion, I visited Hanger Prosthetic and Orthotic Inc., a "serious brace company" in Bill Mink's words, to ask about stabilizing the ankle to allow wading.

The manager, Kyle, welcomed the challenge and proposed a solution to pass by my treating orthopod, Dr. Talcott in Napa, CA. My next visit to Dr. Talcott saw me waiting for him with every pair of waders and boots I owned, and the suggested brace solution. He OK'd the approach, cut off the cast and sent me back to Kyle.

The attached photo shows the waders, brace, normal size 12 boot and gravel guard for the right foot and size 14 boot plus hunting snow gaiter for the left leg. The long knee to foot snow gaiter worked very well preventing sand or gravel from entering the brace area.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brace Details

The brace is a two-piece co-polymer unit that was originally designed to be slender enough to fit inside waders. It was not, so the outside placement was necessary, which turned out to be quite comfortable and protective of the wader material.

I waded the easy runs, had a great time and suffered no pain or damage to the ankle.

As Bill Mink said, "Bob, this proves the depth of your addiction!"

Attachments

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
Bob, glad you could find a workable arrangement and make the dean. that brace brings back memorys, i lived in one for quite a stretch after a car wreck that left me with a compounded lower left leg. i ended up improvising a larger boot to fit over mine as well. a felt pac style without the felt liner filled the role for me. good enough to wobble around bow hunting some, no trees were climbed but i got out.

hope you get back to 100% soon.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brace is off, as of this morning! Wearing two similar shoes, for the first time in two months, feels good.

I left the doc's office with instructions to do nothing stupid, get some physical therapy and to see him before the next B.C. trip. By that time he believes wading without the external brace will be OK.

All is going better than expected; I'm lucky, and didn't have to pay Willie Gunn's fare to BC to fish my week.

If I can just stay away from Bill Greiner's dangerous bridges...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Great Job, you addicted Spey Fisher.

Bob Pauli said:
On June 11 I broke my ankle walking out of the St. Jean River in the Gaspe area, and sincerely asked board members for suggestions. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions, in particular Grandpa Spey for suggesting I contact a retired orthopaedic surgeon friend who lives nearby. Dr. Bill Mink was very helpful with advice and the loan of his size 14 left boot.

Here is the resulting solution.

Step 1 is getting there. The supporting boot is pretty standard, used once the cast is removed, which in my case was a few days before departing for the Dean.

The blue bump at the top is for pumping air into inflatable chambers.
I'm glad that I remember seeing Bill out in the American and on the Napa River with his special boot and suggested that you talk to him.

Dr Talcott is a great orthopedic surgeon, and he listens to patients and tries to help them when possible.

As usual, you have a great story that should be published in a fishing magazine.

Let me know if you need the name of a good Physical Therapist. :saeek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts