Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a lightly used Carron 65 Next Generation. Line is in good shape, but it was wound in small coils and twisted. Not sure how long it was stored like that in the tin, but when I went to use it today, the coils were a problem. I tried to get as many coils out when I spooled it. Worked more out on the water today, and I have most of the coils out of the head. The running line still has about 40-50% of the coils left, and is a harder, stiffer material than the supple head. Most of the coiling/twists that are left seem to be from memory of the plastic. I can actually see twists in the color at the transition of the head to running line.

Sooo, has anyone put a Carron in warm/hot water to relieve memory coils(thinking of doing just the running line). I've read that Carron lines are softer and somewhat delicate. I don't want to screw up this very nice casting line. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

briansII

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
If no Joy here, go here.

http://www.carron.uk.com/section.php/5/1/spey-lines

Carron's will take a set even getting put on the normal delivery spool and need a good stretch before each use. Worse yet if you put the line on a reel 'wrong.' :( But will those things blast out a fly! Oh Yes Sir they will.

I have a new Carron sitting across from me that I need to spool up, and get 'wet.' :smokin:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the best way of removing the coils is to catch a number of large aggressive steelhead, bringing them in quickly, exerting as much force as you can. That will straighten out the line and be good on the fish.

Mark

·
Registered
254 Posts
I picked up a lightly used Carron 65 Next Generation. Line is in good shape, but it was wound in small coils and twisted. Not sure how long it was stored like that in the tin, but when I went to use it today, the coils were a problem. I tried to get as many coils out when I spooled it. Worked more out on the water today, and I have most of the coils out of the head. The running line still has about 40-50% of the coils left, and is a harder, stiffer material than the supple head. Most of the coiling/twists that are left seem to be from memory of the plastic. I can actually see twists in the color at the transition of the head to running line.

Sooo, has anyone put a Carron in warm/hot water to relieve memory coils(thinking of doing just the running line). I've read that Carron lines are softer and somewhat delicate. I don't want to screw up this very nice casting line. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

briansII
That looks nothing like my 65' next generation Carron lines !

Even the colours are wrong.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
The most effective 'at home' method of getting the coils out is to roughly lay out the line on a floor so that you can easily lift it up from one end and feed it into a basin of very hot water (add some mild soap if you want, and the water temperature should not be boiling but just hot enough that your hand would be uncomfortable in it), and then leave all the line loosely laid in the water for a couple of minutes, then lift out one end of the line and pull it gently through a small clean cloth with enough resistance that you are gently stretching it, and proceed to lay out the line in large loops (2 to 3 feet) on the floor again. Repeat the same process again though the same water basin.

The hot water softens the plastics of the line coating, and the process of laying the line out on the floor, into the basin, pulling through a cloth, laying out on the floor again (with a repeat) should get out all the kinks, twists and coils, and as the line cools at the end of the process, the kinks twists and coils are banished for good. During this process, the line is also cleaned, and as you are pulling it through the cloth, you will find any cracks or defects in the line you have.

You may then wish to store the prepared line on a large spool, or in ~6" diameter coils in a ziplock, or wind straight onto a reel.

The above has always worked for myself, even for very old lines.

Mike

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I've received quite a few used-lines with pretty bad twists in them, mostly in the first 15-20 feet behind the head. So bad that a 2-3 foot loop would twist like rope and simply running the line through a rag would not be enough to undo. I had to go through the running line , 2-3 feet at a time, and twisting in the opposite direction for the entire length. I repeated this several times until each loop would remain straight without twisting, eventually undoing 100% of the twists everytime.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice.........even yours Meb ;) I ended up doing almost exactly what Speyducer suggested. Did that twice and most of the coils and twists are gone. I may have to redo it, but it looks much better now.

That looks nothing like my 65' next generation Carron lines !

Even the colours are wrong.
Hmm. I maybe have to contact Carron. What color is your line? Here's a picture of the tin.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.........even yours Meb ;) I ended up doing almost exactly what Speyducer suggested. Did that twice and most of the coils and twists are gone. I may have to redo it, but it looks much better now.

Hmm. I maybe have to contact Carron. What color is your line? Here's a picture of the tin.

The tin is spot on, it's just that the pic of the line looks like a white or cream coloured head, with a pretty dull coloured running line.

Mine is a very strong and bright coloured green running line with a blue head. Maybe it's just the light in which your pic was taken that has thrown me off ??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tin is spot on, it's just that the pic of the line looks like a white or cream coloured head, with a pretty dull coloured running line.

Mine is a very strong and bright coloured green running line with a blue head. Maybe it's just the light in which your pic was taken that has thrown me off ??
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, my picture is not a true reflection of the color. Bright green running line with a pale blue head. Whew! I was worried there for a minute. ;)

Looking forward to giving this line another go. While the head portion cast great, distance was limited with the coils and tangles of the running line.

briansII

1 - 11 of 11 Posts