Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new to speycasting and today was the second time i ever casted a spey rod. i was having a problem bringing the line off the water when i fired the line back in the water. i noticed i was bringing my rod to 11 oclock to fast and then slowing down on the d loop so it was killing the cast also i wasnt keeping left hand anchored in my chest. i was watching the derek brown spey casting video hopefully i can pick up a few pointers. the first rod i casted was a little too fast for me so i switched to a heritage and i could cast a little better. ill try a cnd 14 ft 9/10 next saturday and see how it feels. the heritage in 8/9 was a lot easier for me to cast. ill just keeping practicing hopefully it will come.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Scott, welcome to Spey Pages!

Being a novice spey caster scratching for knowledge and skill is a memorable time in all our lives. Enjoy the fun!

In order to minimize time spent in the initial learning curve, it is a good idea to get with a professional spey casting instructor. Look for an instructor that has some years experience and a quiver filled with spey rods and lines for students' use.

The approach of acquiring a new rod to overcome each stumbling block will impede your progress. If I may share my philosophy with you, the following hypothetical situation shows my priorities. Assume a new Spey guy has enough dinero for three rods/reels/lines. How should the money be spent?

My recommendation is that two outfits worth of money should go to instruction, first, and one to equipment later. This board's founder, Dana Sturn, has a link on the second screen of this web site called selecting an instructor.

Scott, life is good two-handing a river!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Howdy Scott...

What line did Speybum have on that Heritage 14' 8/9?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Scott,

I fish the same spots you do. I'll be out all this week. Email me and I'll meet ya up on the Skag or Stilly and check out that cast.

Matt Burke

1 - 4 of 4 Posts