Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding sink rates and depth gaing abillities:

Throwing the same modestly sized and weighted fly in a moderate flow, what would gain more depth, a dozen feet of T-14 or a type 8 density compensated tip. I know there would be weight variations in the different tips (a 15' 150 grain type 8 Rio sink tip vs 168 grains for 12' of T-14) but they both feel about the same in casting.

A discussion arose recently among friends about what to use to get the deepest while still retaining a reasonable castabillity, so I'm ruling out the Big Boys, Leviathons and such, but the 20' Airflo custom cut @200 grains is a possibillity too.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
well i like a 9 foot spinning rod, 8-10 lbs maxima line, 1/8 ounce slinky weight and a nice big ol fat sand schrimp.

OOPS wrong board....

i never really thought twice about either one and would like to know other peoples thoughts as well...good post

vinnie

·
Registered
147 Posts
which??

Moose, that's a good question. I'm thinking they would both attain ALMOST the same depth. There are some important parameters to consider here, however. My buddy, Carl, should have some good input on this as well as we have prepared all winter on our Steelhead floats with the many T-14 tips we've made. Now, the conflicting currents will (IMHO) have lesser effect upon the T-8 than the T-14 because the T-14 has more circumference or surface area exposed to the current to conflict with sink/time. The T-14 is more dense, however, and should sink slightly faster than the T-8(IMHO). The T-14 needs more dense floating belly line (per Aaron[Speybum])-a 13 wt has the density to PROPERLY transmit the energy through to turn over the dense T-14, especially in the longer 20' and 24' length tips we must use to get down in the deep winter lies in our big West MI Rivers. The larger, wind resistant flies that Carl and I have used are also better handled by T-14 than T-8. I'd like to hear what the real "experts" have to say about this issue as it is a great concern to most all of us GL Basin Winter Steelheaders as well as you PNW folks and our Canadian and East Coast folks.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Hi Moose - scroll down to page 2 on this site - I asked a similar question comparing T-14 andType 8 sink rates - seems most think they sink about the same with even a nod to the type 8 as it is finer diameter. But some thought the finer diameter was not as good for big flies and turn over issues so opt for T-14.

For sure T-14 is cheaper!!

·
Pin cushion
101 Posts
Moose said:
so I'm ruling out the Big Boys, Leviathons and such, but the 20' Airflo custom cut @200 grains is a possibillity too.
Why rule out the big boys, I fish a 300gr on a 10/11 mid spey all winter and it seems to cast just fine. I'm just wondering why you've already ruled them out?

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
25' of T-14 (350 gr) casts pretty well on the rear of a WC 8/9/10. Below is an older post from Simon G on this

Speybro said:
I have played around with the various big boys and windcutter combinations to get the maximum that each windcutter will carry effectively. This is the guideline we recommend as the absolute maximum that the line will support - however, it does depend on how powerful the rod is. Also, I would sensibly step down one big boy size than the maximums listed here:

7/8/9 - 300 grain
8/9/10 - 400 grain
9/10/11 - 500 grain
10/11/12 - 600 grain

These work and I have used these combinations on a fast action and powerful rod, but as I say, one Big Boy lighter would be best.

Tight lines
Simon

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twohand said:
Why rule out the big boys, I fish a 300gr on a 10/11 mid spey all winter and it seems to cast just fine. I'm just wondering why you've already ruled them out?

Because a 10/11 midspey doesn't cast well on a 7 weight :hihi:

I guess I should have added some more specifics, sorry. We were throwing 6/7/8 rods (Meiser and Burkheimer's) and Loop Quattro lines, basically a longish shooting head type line with the capacity to carry up to about a 15' 150 gr. type 8 rio tip or a dozen feet of T-14. Beyond that the rods bogged down a bit, and as I mentioned, good castabillity is a must (or else why bother,get out the spinning rod like Vinnie reccomends).

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Moose said:
good castabillity is a must (or else why bother,get out the spinning rod like Vinnie reccomends).
Right on Part of the reason we fish with a flyrod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts