Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Saltwater Flycasting: 10 Steps to Distance and Power" by George V Roberts Jr, available through White Mouse Fly Fishing (George's web site). This is hands down one of the best instructional videos on fly casting I've ever seen. George's no nonsense, straight forward, well planned and logical approach is easy to follow and masterfully executed. The casting sequences are lighted so that the line is easy to see, and video graphics reinforce George's key points.

Why mention it here on the spey clave? Don't let the "saltwater" and "single hand" subject focus fool you. There is a ton of stuff in there about casting mechanics that applies to any fly cast, single hand or otherwise. A single evening with this video added 10 clean feet to my single hand cast (really) and reinforced a whole bunch of things for me about how to make two-handers work properly, even though there is nothing in the video about spey rods. The bottom line with George is casting efficiency, and everything I've ever said and written on this subject, George does it better.

Thanks to Rick Whorwood for recommending this video to me--Friday the beers are on me, Rick! Now I know why you are such a superb caster!

Buy this video. Study it. Live it. It's already improved my casting. It will make you a better caster, too.

J

·
0 Posts
I agree that this video is the best for understanding casting mechanics. One thing that should be pointed out is that my copy has just a plain white cardboard sleeve. There's no photos or printing on it. When looking in a fly shop for it one might be tempted to look past them thinking that they were promotional videos put out by a rod manufacturer or the like. My copy is close to two years old now, so maybe that has changed, but it is how mine arrived.

·
"Cookie Monster"
175 Posts
Thank you for the video suggestion ! Well worth the price of addmission to say the least. Excellent explanation of the mechanics of casting. I could even understand it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Where can we buy this video? Up until I read this thread i thought Doug Swisher's series(of four) were by far the best. Thanks for your help Dana et al. clydeo

J

·
0 Posts
The Roberts' video is the best so far. Actually, I found Mel Krieger's two videos on single-handed rod casting the best prior to that. Though I like what Doug Swisher does with curve casts and the like, his overall casting stroke is too "wristy" to be of much benefit for most of us beyond regular trout fishing. I've fished with Doug off the west coast of Florida and he does it that way for snook and redfish, too. I just don't think most of us can use that much wrist and still maintain the tight loops necessary for most saltwater casting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Roberts' video

Spoke with George, got the tape through a local flyshop that special ordered it for me(George prefers you do this unless your flyshop for whatever reason won't/can't get it). I have Doug Swisher's four volume set which up to now I thought was the best; Krieger's two volumes I thought were more fluff than good teaching basics. The Roberts' video and accompanying booklet have taken my single handed casting to the next level. I have viewed the video several times, read the booklet(which by itself is excellent), and am now going to a grass field near my home to practice the various of the ten lessons. His illustrations seem to make much clearer points others have pointed out as important but with better effect. The bow and arrow demonstration as to the importance of the abrupt stop comes to mind. And you know in the long run I think it will help my spey casting too. Thankyou Dana!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Hands down the best instruction tape I have seen - I only wish it had been available when I was teaching casting classes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts