Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any comparison for these high speed backings?

I have recently heard that Power Pro fishing line works Great as a fly line backing. In looking at the stuff, its essentially the same as Gel Spun backing is it not? Has anyone ever used the stuff? Just Curious. Thanks Jay

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think that Power Pro, Herculine, Tuff and others are just different brands of gsp (gel spun polyethylene).
--------------------------
I found this (a quote):
Dynema is the generic name for Gel Spun Polyethylene (GSP.) It is an approximate process name and chemical description.

Spectra by Allied Signal corporation is a trademark name for dynema.

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Line discoloration

Mattzoid, did the discoloration break down the coating or have any adverse effects?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have Power Pro (gray), Herculine (white) and Tuff XP (yellow) as backings. The only one I've noticed to color flyline is the gray PP. My windcutter's running line is and has been discolored for years now. The only noticeable effect is the color - nothing else. Fortunately.

J

·
0 Posts
I think the single biggest reason many of us use PowerPro in place of other GSP for backing is that it seems less abrasive. Some of the GSP lines are like bandsaws and will cut through fingers (and guides, etc.) in short order. When I was advised to try PowerPro I found it far less so than the others I'd tried. It's still worse than dacron backing, but better than the other GSP lines I've tried. Someone told me that Bionic Braid was also good in this regard, but I've never tried it. Stick to 50lb GSP as anything thinner can really be dangerous, and 50lb GSP is still quite a bit thinner than even the thinnest dacron backing. And yes, it will bleed onto the end of your flyline, but I have found no problems with that other than cosmetic. I usually use the chartreuse and when that bleeds onto the yellow fly line it's not very noticeable.

M

·
0 Posts
Basically GsP is either Dyneema or Spectra, Dyneema is the trade name of DSM HPF in Holland, the inventors and the licesnse producers in Japan, Toyobo Co. Spectra is the trade name of AlliedSignal in the USA. Same stuff though. There are variations in braiding formulkas, like the number of carriers and piks, PowerPro is braided from Spectra, latest is hollow braid, in 60lb plus. You can use it as a combination backing and running line if you stuff the last 100 feet with monofilament. Quite easy to do. Other brands are Jerry Brown Line-One, its pretty much thye same as PowerPro.
Bionic Braid is braided from Micro Dyneema, is a very tight braid, and has a very thin diameter but high breaking strain, like 30 lb BB breaks at 42lb and 50 at 72lb.
Quite the best backing line ever. Braided in Australia, organised by Rod Harrison.
Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts