Spey Pages banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So needed some fancy colours on the vise and another classic pattern to work with, so did this free style dee fly today. What do you think?

Hook: AJ Spey #3/0
Tip: medium oval silver tinsel
Rear body: Turquoise floss with double rib of fine oval silver tinsel
Front body: EP dubbing with medium flat silver tinsel and palmer hackle of yellow saddle feathers
Throat: Orange AO spey hackle
Wings: Strips of swan
Sides: JC
Head: Laquered Doc Blue thread

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are absolutely right. Looking at pictures has its disadvantages and I perceived that the wings should cross like a scissor. Might be why they were such a hassle to mount. Thanks for pointing it out ;-)

Søren

·
Registered
895 Posts
Nice work on that one, Soren. I think you'll have no problem with the wings once you see the proper way to tie them in!

With that, wouldn't it look great as an Akroyd/ Skagit mist variant!

Throw a tail on it, reverse the body, palmer the spey hackle through the front, add a collar of choice, and I think it would be amazing!

Hope you don't mind the suggestion,

-Bill

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Bwana Bill I followed your suggestions ;-) Here it is reversed, with a tag a tip, a tippet and a topping for tail, with the spey hackle palmered on the front half and with a throat of GP topping. And the wings are not scissor-crossed on this one. And also the head ended up small and fine.

In my opinion I like the proportions of the other body layout better, the very full dubbing seems a little heavy in the rear end and the orange of the spey hackle take over and overrules the more balanced contrast of colours and ribbing in the first fly. But the challenge was a fun one full of learning, and I have a much better understanding of the dee wing by now, with enough of room for improvement for a lot of future fun ;-)

Knæk og bræk
Søren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.