Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:

A quick update about fishing on the Gaspe this season.

The rivers opened up June 1 and the salmon runs have been great. Water levels are a bit low for this time of year but not bad. A couple of spey pages regulars are in camp now: Bob Pauli and Isgrigg and they caught a 17lb salmon and a 30lb salmon respectively today on the York River. Not to be outdone, first-time Gaspe angler Simon Gawesworth got a salmon that was close to 20lbs on the Grande River today.

If you are heading up to any of the rivers on the Gaspe send me a note and I will be glad to give you information on water conditions, runs, etc.

Tightlines!

Bill Greiner
Malbaie River Outfitters

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 30 Pound Salmon

Bill is too modest ...

The day I caught my 30 pound Salmon, my fishing partner for the day, Joe, caught a 12 pound Salmon at the same time. Our guide, Tony landed my Salmon we took a couple quick pictures and then Tony have to run up and across the river to help land Joe's Salmon ... all very exciting ... I know a 30 pound Salmon in rare, but a double in Atlantic Salmon fishing has to be very rare!

Speaking of rare ... Bill's whole Malbaie River Outfitters operation is top notch! The lodge is great ... the guides are the best ... the rivers are so beautiful the you would fish them even if there were no Salmon, but Oh there are Salmon, the food is great (I really only go there for Lola's cookies) and of course the other guest are a real hoot to fish with and tell stories in front of the fire at night.

I will post a picture of my Salmon when and if I ever figure out how.

Thanks Bill for another great and memorable fishing trip!

Stephen

·
Registered
283 Posts
Very nice. Can't really tell how thick he is until you look at his head. All the fish I saw this year were in great shape like yours.

I had the opportunity to fish the York this year with BillG and my good friend, David "Eagle Eyes" Bishop on June 9th on the public sector. A fine time was had by all.

Bill was gracious enough to meet us upriver with passes in hand (the check is in the mail, honest) and take half a day to guide us. Got the monkey off my back with a 15lb male with those two spotting a taking fish for me. Later on I missed a 25 lb "shark" upriver that crushed the fly and left me shaking.

David is amazing at spotting or just "feeling" where the fish are. That fish I never saw but he's eyed early on. Not a better guide or fishing partner anywhere and a real "Salmon man". And he's learned to Spey cast too. He's stylin' like the rest of us and already casts better than me.

I don't think the other Gaspe rivers fished as consistently as the water conditions are very low for this time of year. If you caught a wave of fish you were in good shape otherwise you were hunting just like any other early June.

-Chris

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was fishing 6/13 - 6/17 and we saw plenty of fish in the York River. I have to admit they did not alway cooperate ... hard to catch ... but that is Salmon fishing.

Unlike your friend Dave I am not very good at seeing fish in the water and I am sure there were many fish I could not see. Heck ... I never saw the 30 pound salmon until it was hooked, had reeled in half my line and it came out in the sunshine.

The water was higher than I remember from last year in June and the year before that I was there in August when the water is lower naturally. There was a lot of discussion about needing more rain to protect the Salmon in the summer months. The water temperature was good and the fish caught revived very quickly.

What a great place to fish ... I hope the ZEC continue to protect the resource ... the rivers and the fish ... I would like to be able to take my grandchildren to Bill's lodge so they can enjoy and appreciate this beautiful experience.

Stephen

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
8 days on Gaspe rivers with Malbaie River Outfitters

What a trip! My first Atlantic salmon, my first salmon on a dead drifted dry fly and my first large salmon--a trifecta of joy delivered by Bil Greiner's Malbaie River Outfitters.

The guides at Malbaie are excellent, and good teachers to boot, which was important for me as I arrived with a total of four days experience chasing Atlantics.

The staff is excellent and do everything possible to make one's stay seamless.

This was my second trip to Malbaie and the diverse group of anglers with their stories, skills, and personalities were a major bonus to the fishing. Folks from Norway, England, Wales, Idaho, Maine, Minnesota, Massachusetts, Michigan, Maryland and Oregon brought color, knowledge and humor.

Every angler with whom I shared a day was a new acquaintance and someone I look forward to fishing with again.

Further positngs and pix will follow.

Being lucky is awesome...43" by 22.5" measured and confirmed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts