Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Usually this time of year there's lots of discussion about the Gaspé draw results, followed by hopeful planning for next summer. There's a definite lack of that this year, which I can understand.

I started going to the Gaspé with my dad when I was 5. Since then, I've gone nearly every year for 30 plus years. It's like the metronome that marks the passing of the years, but this year there was no annual rhythm, and I know I'm not alone in that. This draw, I was hopeful -- but I got bupkis. Nadda. Zilch. Record numbers of entries on some rivers, so I can understand.

Just wanted to say that I hope others had better results and that you have exciting plans (as much as we can plan anything!) to look forward to for the summer 2021 season.

I'll be spending my winter tying salmon flies, reading about salmon, and I'll be living vicariously thinking about others plans. I also plan to have a "go bag" ready for when the border opens.

Until then, happy tying and dreaming everybody!

Best,
Ben

·
Registered
203 Posts
My buddy was drawn in the top 35 for the Cascapedia wade sector - we are set to go June 27. I was drawn in the middle of the pack for the Bonaventure. Call is scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to 2021. Hopefully will make up for cancellations of our Quebec trips this season.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy was drawn in the top 35 for the Cascapedia wade sector - we are set to go June 27. I was drawn in the middle of the pack for the Bonaventure. Call is scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to 2021. Hopefully will make up for cancellations of our Quebec trips this season.
Nice! Congrats. Which pools do you have on the GC wade? I know it well.

Good luck with the call tomorrow. I always look forward to those days, and always be sure to block off time on my calendar so I don't have to awkwardly duck out of a meeting to take the most important call of the year.... ;)

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I too was drawn on the Bonnie (happy for that as got nothing the last couple of years) and will be booking tomorrow. I got drawn way at the back of the pack on the Grande Casc Wade sector (still happy as I've never been drawn on the Grande) and don't have the slightest idea what will be left over for me when my turn comes. I'll probably take it anyways unless it is first days of the season as I've dreamt of fishing this river for a long long long time.... Might be the only chance I get (Carpe Diem).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was lucky to get #76 on the GC guide draw. I was able to add 2 days on D1 to the week I will be there in early June. Hoping for an open border and reasonable water levels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was lucky to get #76 on the GC guide draw. I was able to add 2 days on D1 to the week I will be there in early June. Hoping for an open border and reasonable water levels.
Nice -- enjoy! Sure you'll have some action. Even if not, it's beautiful up there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too was drawn on the Bonnie (happy for that as got nothing the last couple of years) and will be booking tomorrow. I got drawn way at the back of the pack on the Grande Casc Wade sector (still happy as I've never been drawn on the Grande) and don't have the slightest idea what will be left over for me when my turn comes. I'll probably take it anyways unless it is first days of the season as I've dreamt of fishing this river for a long long long time.... Might be the only chance I get (Carpe Diem).
Fingers crossed for you! Let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice! Congrats. Which pools do you have on the GC wade? I know it well.

Good luck with the call tomorrow. I always look forward to those days, and always be sure to block off time on my calendar so I don't have to awkwardly duck out of a meeting to take the most important call of the year.... ;)
Actually I did have to duck out of a meeting! But I wasn't missing that call! Going Sept 27-29 and have booked uppermost secteur (E), B-3 and B-4. Looking forward to fall fishing.
We booked a day on Salmon Branch and 82/81-81a and 87/88. Have fished there before; any tips on 81-81a are welcome as we haven't figured those out yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got myself a little bit of luck, York river early June in zone 3 and 4 and late September on the Cascapedia 88/87/89 for 3 days. But there was so many new people in the draw this year so I’m pretty happy.
i hope you guys can cross the Borders this year.

Actually I did have to duck out of a meeting! But I wasn't missing that call! Going Sept 27-29 and have booked uppermost secteur (E), B-3 and B-4. Looking forward to fall fishing.
We booked a day on Salmon Branch and 82/81-81a and 87/88. Have fished there before; any tips on 81-81a are welcome as we haven't figured those out yet.
For 81 and 81A you’ll need a little bump of water cause there no fish in those pools in low water. But 81A if the level is good can hold some fish for sure

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put in cards for 7 rivers and got my worst results ever in the draws - complete blank on all.

Fortunately, my buddy drew well on York and Dartmouth, so we have some good waters in early prime time. Only problem is that he lives in NJ, so we'll be watching the COVID-19 and border situation closely come spring time...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put in cards for 7 rivers and got my worst results ever in the draws - complete blank on all.

Fortunately, my buddy drew well on York and Dartmouth, so we have some good waters in early prime time. Only problem is that he lives in NJ, so we'll be watching the COVID-19 and border situation closely come spring time...
Just about the same here... Fingers crossed for the border for us all!

In the meantime, channeling all of my energy into tying lots of salmon flies.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My June fishing has shaped up very nicely Prime time on two of Quebec's Northshore rivers with. Glen Emma sandwiched in between ( I’m going to let this go ,though ). My July Dates look Great also . Prime time on the Petite Cascapedia and then D1 on the Cascapedia !!!

The 2 Northshore rivers are extremely close to salt water and these fish are torpedoes and even a 10 or 12 lb fish will give you an incredible fight !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My June fishing has shaped up very nicely Prime time on two of Quebec's Northshore rivers with. Glen Emma sandwiched in between ( I’m going to let this go ,though ). My July Dates look Great also . Prime time on the Petite Cascapedia and then D1 on the Cascapedia !!!

The 2 Northshore rivers are extremely close to salt water and these fish are torpedoes and even a 10 or 12 lb fish will give you an incredible fight !!
Very jealous. Enjoy!

I've fished the Matapedia a few times, but never Glen Emma. I've read about it, and it's history, but wondering: why are you letting it go? Not worth the expense, or just have other good options?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The Matapedia is one of my favourite Quebec rivers and has been very kind to me . Both in fish caught AND lost also great memories of being with friends .
The Cascapedia being the other

I would have 2 options to fit the Glen Emma reservation in .Either take the Godbout/Matane ferry back and forth or drive back to Montreal
for one day and then fire down to the Matapedia and THEN take the Matane ferry back the Northshore.Both doable but would involve too many days away and I'd have to scratch "DIVORCED " across the hood of my car !!

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Finally, although I haven't received my e.mail confirmation yet, I was able to get some beats on E2 and D2 (Lake and Salmon branches) end of September (probably around same time for JakeNB on the Bonaventure) a beautiful time to be in that area. Although I don't know the pools and whether or not they will be holding fish at that time of year, at least there should be fish in the upper reaches of the river that time (I was afraid of being stuck with a date such as June 1st where the fish are most likely not up that far yet!!!).Will have to do some digging about the pools I'll be fishing...

I'm stoked as have been dreaming of this river for a long time. Catch a fish or not is secondary... Just getting my boots wet in one of her pools will be a privilege.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Forgot that I got some good water on the Bonnie end of June. Chances are the water levels will be good and the run will be on... Just need to dodge the canoes...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Looks like we have the makings of an end of season get together .Either pool side and/or supper and beers or whatever !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts