Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with Gary's 13ft., 8wt. rod - I believe he calls it the 1316? I am specifically interested in using it to fish for Atlantic Salmon. Any thoughts on lines to use with it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

There are a number of Anderson rod users on the Board and you should get some good feedback with a little time.

You can also check with Gary and Bob Meiser knows a lot about competition rods and is a Board sponsor.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have his 13'3" 7 wt and my friend has the 8 wt - both are great rods - cast the Skagit 550 very nicely and handles the old 7/8 xlt nicely also so expect the new 8 xlt would be a nice fit.

You might check with Gary as he has a new series he is just putting out - three rods that he and Jeff Putman have been working on - a 13'1" 6 wt, a 15'1" 9 wt and just getting to production a 13'9" 7 wt that are pretty awesome

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
We had a mini-'clave "down here" on the upper Rogue this past Saturday and Gary brought out all his new toys. Several EXCELLENT new rod designs. One in particular is a 13'9" 7wt. First one I've run into that's equal (superior?) to the Burkie's.

Too bad mine will take about 5-6 weeks to arrive ...:devil:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Anderson/SAGE

Gary has been a Sage dealer since the early eighties so-he IS a sponsor by virtue of that affiliation,he can sell you any sage rod/reel/line you desire and it shouldn't be against the rules here

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
An educated guess, save for calling Gary Direct.

Anyone familiar w/ Gary's 13' 9" 8 wt. ? line recommendations ,etc.
If you want a 'Scandi' set up go with a 500/550 grain head, then poly leaders, straight floating leader etc. (I've the 13'9" 7wt and a 450 grain scandi head - Vision ACE -, etc., is 'dead on.')

Fred

·
Registered
210 Posts
Though I can't tell you about that model, I do have several of Gary's rods and think they are terrific. One very helpful extra is that Gary now supplies a line that has been carefully matched with every rod. He has been having them made as Scandi-style shooting heads with integrated shooting line, but is also beginning to have them made as separate heads. Saves a lot of time and money wasted on experimenting with wxpensive lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts